Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Probook 440 G6

I think I've got a faulty integrated GPU (Intel UHD 620), and it's strange, because I bought this laptop recently, and didn't expect it to last just a month or two. Anyway, I've learned that it is not possible to replace integrated GPU, because they are basically a part of a CPU, which cannot be detached from motherboard on this specific laptop model. So I'm exploring my options. One of which is to return the laptop, or take it to the service, so that they can inspect the problem and come up with possible solutions. I'm afraid there's not much they could do with it, so I'm starting to think about adding a dedicated GPU as a fallback/replacement to an integrated one.  I do not want to risk the warranty and disassemble the laptop myself to see the available slots. So I'm going to ask here, is it possible to actually add a dedicated GPU on this specific laptop? And if not, what would you suggest to do in this situation. Thanks in advance.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

There is no slot for adding a video card of any kind. There was an optional version of the laptop that had dedicated video, but those use a different motherboard. On laptops a faulty video chip is just treated as a bad motherboard as there is no component-level fix. What is happening? How did you diagnose a video problem? It may be something simpler and cheaper to repair. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

I often experience screen glitches (at first i thought it was a driver problem, but all drivers are properly installed from HP official website), sometimes computer freezes, and does not react to any input, only restart fixes it (temporarily of course), sometimes it crashes with a Windows blue screen, and sometimes it just randomly turns off without any messages or warning. Also the fan is often noisy and overactive. I've tried to do a home stress test, and played an 8k and 4k videos in youtube. 8k won't play smoothly, 4k plays well, but after several minutes (sometimes an hour) I start experiencing one of the above described issues.

HP Recommended

Here's a demonstration of one of the cases. After this, the laptop just freezes until restart.image.png

HP Recommended

Bad RAM can also generate those kind of issues. Who installed Windows on it? Have you run factory diagnostic routines on the video, hard drive and memory? HP provides tools that take away the guess work. 

HP Recommended

I'm dual-booting with Ubuntu, and experience similar issues there.

The RAM is 16GB, and I've run couple of diagnostics tests with HP software and it showed that everything's okay. I don't remember which tests specifically, but I must've run all available ones, because this issues concerned me much, so I was trying hard to detect any software or hardware problems on my own. 

HP Recommended

I installed Windows myself, but this is not the first time I'm doing it, and I've checked all the drivers after.
I've opened the windows Task Manager -> Peformance -> GPU, and I did not see any sign of high load (< 3%),

HP Recommended

My touchpad just stopped responding, just after I wrote the latest comment and experienced glitches. I'm adding that info, because it may be related and useful. 

HP Recommended

You have convinced me its the motherboard and you are watching it slowly give up. 

HP Recommended

I guess I'm running out of options then, I'm going to hand it to the service center, and wait for feedback. May I assume the laptop is basically dead, as the replacement of the motherboard is going to cost me a lot, and it doesn't make any sense in this case? 
Probably, I should use my warranty and get a new one.

Also, thank you for the guidance and quick responses.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.