Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Probook 4520s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I need to upgrade my laptop 4520s. It has already two RAM modules exisiting are 2 x2GB = 4GB.I want to replace one 2GB module with Kingston KVR13S9S8/4 (4GB PC3-10600 CL9 204Pin SODIMM) which fit the HP description.

I decided to upgrade my 4520s  ProBook's memory to 8gb but unfortunately failed.

Trying out multiple outcomes with (one 2gb module+ 4gb module)

windows-10 x64 setup loading but then showing a error with also interupt display *your pc did not start correctly* then i cannot go beyond that screen or in othercomes CAPS LED blinking 3 times addressing Memory Failure..

with old  4GB RAM runs fine.

Please let me know the solution if some body can help me in that problem.

Thanks in Advance.

Maaz

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

You have to get a specific type of memory for any HP notebook with a Mobile Intel Series 5 chipset.

See this discussion...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Memory-upgrade-6550b/m-p/53405...

HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick reply. But actually i used the same specification of the RAM and it wont help. I used the same speed which is same as per HP alot to replace with it.

DDR3-PC3-10600-SDRAM (1333 MHz)

i used

Bauform SODIMM Rank , Single-Rank-x8 Pins 204pin Typ Unbuffered , non-ECC Standard DDR3 - 1333 ( PC3-10600 ) Voltage 1,5V

Which is exact the same. Still it doesnot work out ?

May be this Gskill memory work out as i have not only read that thread but also on the other discussion popup. People recommend this Gskill. But i m just afraid that maybe i cannot lose just my money 😞

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I guess you will have to live with 4 GB of memory then.

Most likely the memory you bought is not low enough density, which is why the memory won't work with 2 x 4 GB.

Trust me...there are only 2 or 3 brands of memory that will work, and it must have 8 little black chips on each side of the memory board, not 4.

Cannot be PC3-12800, cannot be 1.35V.

Since the memory you bought is the correct speed and voltage, then the density is too high.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.