Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Probook 4525s
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi guys.

Recently I made an upgrade to my Probook 4525s. I decided to add another ram 4GB 1333MHz PC3-10600 module to the one existing (Samsung M471B5273CH0-CH9). After I did so I found out that both modules together run @ clock 1066MHz and basic timings just as if only one module is installed in the system.

So far I have tried to exchange with other 2 independent modules (one samsung and one SKhynix) where both were 1600MHz PC3-12800 spec but the system is still running @ 1066MHz.

The spec sheet for Probook 4525s says it supports 1066 and 1333MHz. But it never runs 1333MHz. Nor with 1333 specd module, nor with 1600 specd.

Any thoughts on this matter ?

Mine is running AMD Phenom II P960 CPU with AMD HD5470 discrete graphics.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

This link states the processor will only run the memory at 1066 MHz.

You can install backward compatible memory (1600 or 1333 MHz), but it will only run at 1066 MHz.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20Quad-Core%20Mobile%20P960%20-%20HMP960SGR42GM.ht...

Memory controllerThe number of controllers: 1
Memory channels: 2
Supported memory: DDR3-1066, DDR3L-1066
Maximum memory bandwidth (GB/s): 17.1

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

If you run just the original DDR3-1333 Samsung module what clock speed is registered?

HP Recommended

Hi:

This link states the processor will only run the memory at 1066 MHz.

You can install backward compatible memory (1600 or 1333 MHz), but it will only run at 1066 MHz.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20Quad-Core%20Mobile%20P960%20-%20HMP960SGR42GM.ht...

Memory controllerThe number of controllers: 1
Memory channels: 2
Supported memory: DDR3-1066, DDR3L-1066
Maximum memory bandwidth (GB/s): 17.1
HP Recommended

It runs 1066MHz ...

HP Recommended

I think @Paul_Tikkanen is right then. The best you can do by adding a chip is to make sure it runs in dual channel mode which makes the memory work a bit faster and better at the same clock speed. To do that, the 2 modules need to be as identical as possible. 

HP Recommended

I think he is right too.

Of course I run 2x4GB of exact same 1333mhz Samsung modules right now. It is a bit faster in dual channel, indeed (for example 5,9 -> 7,1 in win7 experience index benchmark). But I somehow missed to check at the CPU side.

Thanks for your inputs guys.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

A rule of thumb is that the memory speed can never run faster than the processor FSB.

That is definitely true for all Intel processors.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.