Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre X360 aw0500na (2020)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have the 2020 spectre x360 13 inch and have been really happy with it until I tried to use usb-c. I have a usb-c external ssd that does not retain connection and if I try and connect anything using a mini usb-c hub, (e.g. ethernet cable, second external drive, mouse/keyboard), then they are fine for a few minutes then the communication with the devices start to get very intermittent. The mini usb-c hub is perfectly operational as I use it without issue when connecting it to my work laptop, (which also happens to be HP). I should say though, that the same hub is driving a monitor via HDMI and that there are no issues with this even when there are issues with the other connected devices.

I have tried two different types of  hubs, (and had one replaced as I thought it was the hub initially not the laptop)

Are there any driver fixes for this?

Many Thanks Kevin

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Kev_D Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the external USB C SSD is not working.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Please uninstall the USB drivers from the device manager. Then try update the BIOS and check for the issue. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Apologies I have not been around for a short while.  I have taken the suggested actions, (uninstall USB Drivers and Update Bios).

I will test for a few days and hopefully report back with positive news.

Many Thanks

Kevin

HP Recommended

@Kev_D That seems like a fine plan, 

please take your time and get back to us with the results.

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Well unfortunately I wasn't able to test for very long due to work, however I have done so now and confirm that the suggested actions had no result.  Unfortunately I had the same results after the uninstall and BIOS update.

I'm wondering if it's a power issue?  Ultimately I want to buy the Spectre USB-C travel dock but I really don't want to waste my money if it isn't going work.

Do HP have any other suggestions please?

Many Thanks

Kevin

HP Recommended

@Kev_D

I understand your concerns.

So, you have performed the USB test. Please let us know the test result is passed or given failure code.

If the test is passed try to connect the different USB c type device and check for the result.

Regarding docking station. HP Spectre models support the following docking stations. You can purchase any one of these.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hi Praveen,

Apologies, you may have misunderstood what I posted.

I'm saying that after uninstalling the USB drivers and updating the Bios I'm still having issues with the USB-C.  When I have a hub or mini hub plugged in, any device that is connected via the hub works for a short while then becomes very intermittent, e.g. on then off then on then off in quick cycles.  For example I have a wireless HP mouse and keyboard that use a wireless dongle. When this is plugged into the hub it works for a moment then stops.  The same with an external hard drive, when plugged into the hub it works then stops.  I know there is 100% nothing wrong with the hub as it works perfectly fine with another laptop, equally the mini Hub.  So when I was asking HP for ideas, it was more to do with fixing the problem rather than suggesting which docking station - since it is pointless buying a USB-C docking station if the USB-C port on the laptop doesn't work.

Any suggestions welcome.

Many Thanks

Kevin

HP Recommended

@Kev_D

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggest you contact our phone support. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.