Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15t-bl100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This past weekend after a BIOS update, I noticed that my laptop would not shutdown or hibernate. It just immediately powers back on after the screen shuts off (essentially all I can do is restart my computer or completely turn it off by holding the power button). I spoke with a representative from HP and browsed these forums and followed all of the relevant advice to address the issue:

• rolling back the BIOS
  • uncheck fast startup
  • install all updates
  • check for viruses/malware
  • run a hardware diagnostic (no errors)
  • remove all externally connected devices
  • update the intel management engine interface
  • check to make sure automatic maintenance is disabled
  • and finally, completely resetting windows via a recovery USB that HP was kind enough to send free of charge

After completely restting windows and still having the same issue, I was told by HP that this was likely a hardware issue and I'd have to send my laptop in. I was quoted as having to pay $500 to repair my laptop (this included a 30% discount)! After reading through a number of threads on this forum, I've come to realize that there may be an issue with my laptop's motherboard which seems to occur quite frequently with this laptop. I purchased this laptop towards the end of 2017, so it's absurd that I should have to pay 1/3 of what I originally paid after only owning the laptop a little over 2 years for faulty hardware. I might as well purchase a new laptop from a manufacturer with a better reputation for reliability and fixing their own hardware issues.  

Before this happened, I loved my Spectre 15. It was incredibly fast and reliable and I frequently recommended it to friends and family as the best laptop I've ever owned. I knew that once it was finally time for a replacement, I would definitely buy a Spectre again. However, given my current experience, I don't think I'll be buying from or recommending HP again.

If anyone has any advice/experience on how to fix this issue (in a less costly manner than sending my laptop back to HP), I'd really appreciate it. 

Buyer beware.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Shmush325

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

This situation will need some additional support from our internal teams in HP. For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via Private Message.

Please do check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.