Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For the past few weeks, my HP Spectre x360 only occassionally recognizes the battery charger when I plug it in. Most often, it does not recognize it and hence does not charge. Often, in the middle of charging, it will stop recognizing the charger. 

The charger works fine on other laptops. 

This laptop is only 16 months old. 

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @Mike774,

Test the hardware in the HP UEFI Diagnostiscs:

1. Repeatedly press Esc upon startup
  2. Select F2 (System Diagnostics)
  3. Select the desired language
  4. Navigate to component tests
  5. Select Battery and AC adapter

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

I have tried your suggestion. For the battery test, it says that it has passed. For the adapter test, it requests that I plug in the adapter before testing (even though it is already plugged in). 

More often than not, the laptop continues to fail to recognize that the AC adapter is plugged in. I can't get a decent charge. 

Thanks,

Mike

HP Recommended

Hello @Mike774,

Try the system board test in the HP UEFI Diagnostics as well although the fact that both Windows and the hardware diagnostics cannot detect the AC adapter is a big indicator that the AC adpater is failing.

Let me know if you are interested in buying an original replacement AC adapter for your computer.

Kind regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Same issue, but it does this will ALL my adapters.

Then if I do a battery recalibration (and waste 4 hours not being able to use the computer) it works for a while and now recognizes all adapters and charges fine... after that, when it goes bad again, same thing, plug in the adapter, and it shows plugged in (but still on battery) for exactly 11 seconds.

What a mess...

HP Recommended

Where is HP on this?

I have found that a bios update sometimes fixes it.

Sometimes a windows update fixes this.

This problem comes and goes with updates. The last windows update broke charging from the coaxial plug and the hp charger, but PD over USB C works. Before that everything worked. Now I just got a new update and PC over type C works, and the charging plug usually works, but sometimes I have to unplug it and plug it in again.

On other symptom is no charging unless the laptop is off. Running the battery calibration from the Windows diagnostics seems to have restored charging for a while.

This is a mess with HP pointing at Microsoft and Microsoft pointing at HP....  never had this with Lenovo hardware

HP Recommended

Same issue here.  HP Spectre won't power on.  First I tried a brand new power adapter. This didn't work.  The light on the new power adapter goes off as soon as I plug it into the port.   So I ordered a new battery and put that in.  Laptop powered up with with the new battery but it would NOT take a charge.   I ran the test on the battery and it said it passed.  Then I ran out of power with the new battery trying the Power off with everything disconnected while holding down the power button for 60 seconds.  NADA  The POS won't work and now I got coin wasted on another battery and power adapter.  I'm not very happy with HP considering so many others have reported the same problem.

HP Recommended

This problem has been resolved for me. Even though my AC Adapter was working fine on other laptops (which led me to believe that it was not the problem), I purchased a new adapter, making sure it was one that was compatible for this laptop, and it was recognized with no issues. 

No issues charging now. Hope this helps others. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.