Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Spectre x360 - Does Not Charge/Recognize Charger

HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For the past few weeks, my HP Spectre x360 only occassionally recognizes the battery charger when I plug it in. Most often, it does not recognize it and hence does not charge. Often, in the middle of charging, it will stop recognizing the charger. 

The charger works fine on other laptops. 

This laptop is only 16 months old. 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Professor Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,538 2,347 287 854
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Mike774,

Test the hardware in the HP UEFI Diagnostiscs:

1. Repeatedly press Esc upon startup
  2. Select F2 (System Diagnostics)
  3. Select the desired language
  4. Navigate to component tests
  5. Select Battery and AC adapter

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,

Eddy

0 Kudos
Mike774 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have tried your suggestion. For the battery test, it says that it has passed. For the adapter test, it requests that I plug in the adapter before testing (even though it is already plugged in). 

More often than not, the laptop continues to fail to recognize that the AC adapter is plugged in. I can't get a decent charge. 

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,538 2,347 287 854
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Mike774,

Try the system board test in the HP UEFI Diagnostics as well although the fact that both Windows and the hardware diagnostics cannot detect the AC adapter is a big indicator that the AC adpater is failing.

Let me know if you are interested in buying an original replacement AC adapter for your computer.

Kind regards,

Eddy

0 Kudos
Greg_Elmassian Tutor
Tutor
10 10 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same issue, but it does this will ALL my adapters.

Then if I do a battery recalibration (and waste 4 hours not being able to use the computer) it works for a while and now recognizes all adapters and charges fine... after that, when it goes bad again, same thing, plug in the adapter, and it shows plugged in (but still on battery) for exactly 11 seconds.

What a mess...

0 Kudos
Greg_Elmassian Tutor
Tutor
10 10 0 1
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Where is HP on this?

I have found that a bios update sometimes fixes it.

Sometimes a windows update fixes this.

This problem comes and goes with updates. The last windows update broke charging from the coaxial plug and the hp charger, but PD over USB C works. Before that everything worked. Now I just got a new update and PC over type C works, and the charging plug usually works, but sometimes I have to unplug it and plug it in again.

On other symptom is no charging unless the laptop is off. Running the battery calibration from the Windows diagnostics seems to have restored charging for a while.

This is a mess with HP pointing at Microsoft and Microsoft pointing at HP....  never had this with Lenovo hardware

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation