Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've has my spectre x360 for 3 months now, and the rubber grip on the base is coming off, it appears to be linked to the fan when the computer over heats.

Is this covered by the warranty? and if this has to be returned to base, how long does it take from collection?

Regards,

John

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I have had a Spectre x360 13t-ac000 CTO ultrabook as a product loan for almost 365 days.

It has performed without issue and I have found the build quality to be excellent.

A number of HP Experts have the very same unit as product loans. There are no threads with reports of damage as you describe it for the Spectre x360.

If you are referring to the rubber feet on the bottom of the notebook, I wonder how you have managed to make them or "it" come loose. 

The placement of the rubber feet on the base of the unit has nothing to do with the ultrabook's cooling system. There is no "rubber grip", as you describe it, on the ultrabook.

What you are describing is likely to fall in the category of what is called customer induced damage and the repair is unlikely to be free.

None of us as volunteers would have any idea as to how long it will take to effect the repair. You will need to ask HP or an HP service center questions of that type. This is not a business unit of HP and we are not HP employees.

I can ask to have your issue escalated if you wish.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I’ve done my own research now and found out that the overheating issues on the new generation hp spectres x360 i7’s are fairly common, and the temperature can hit about 80C which causes the adhesive on the grips adjacent to the fan to melt and slip.

Thankfully, some easy solutions:

1. Check the drivers – HP don’t keep these completely uptodate and often lag behind intel.
  2. Change the cooling settings to passive as opposed to active in your Processor power management, this means that the computer cools itself before the fan are required
    1. Step 1: Get into Power Options.
    2. Step 2: Click Change plan settings on the right of the selected power plan.
    3. Step 3: Tap Change advanced power settings to continue.
    4. Step 4: Expand Processor power management, choose System cooling policy, select Active or Passive, and hit OK to finish the setting.
  3. Take it the unit back to the shop where purchased for a completely free HP warrantied repair (PC World in my case)!

I hope this is actually useful!

HP Recommended

There are a number of variations of these units sold over a couple of years.   

My wife has a unit out of the series you have referenced.  It has a traditional four feet in the corner.

I have a newer version where they moved to TWO long feet running across the front and the back.

I have had my unit for a year.  After 6 months I was sent a warranty replacement for the rear foot which begins to separate the softer rubber from the thin plastic backing which is glued to the machine itself.   It does this in the areas where the machine gets warmest.  If you always run the machine on a level surface it may show up later, on a lap the rubber pushes away soon.

I love my HP Specrtre.. but I also am not seeing the replacement do the same thing, about 6 months after it was replaced.  I have tried to slow the process with a Loctite heat resistant glue.  But expect that soon I will take the second replacement that came in the box and again be replacing the rear long foot.

I am hoping before my full 3-year warranty is up they will have an improved replacement part.  for this.  As I expect this summer they will be sending me a new box with 2 more feet that will melt free. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.