Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a new Spectre X360 Convertible 15 inch laptop and the spacebar doesn't work unless I press in the exact center of the bar, and I have to press pretty hard.  Tapping either end with my thumbs will not enter a space in the text. It makes it very difficult to type quickly and effectively with this issue. 

I upgraded from a lemon, no-good Acer with a multitude of issues, but I am finding this problem to be just as annoying. For the amount of money I paid to get myself a nice computer for personal and work use, I am disappointed that I am having this issue.

Is there a way to get this fixed? 

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @JCollins13,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues with the space bar key on your computer not working. Don't worry I'll do my best to help you with this.

Have you tried to use a paper clip to check if there is any dust, which might be causing the Issue.

Have you tested any other keyboard on your HP notebook?

This looks to be a possible hardware failure. I would recommend you check these settings:

Try to clean the keyboard to ensure if there is nothing obstructing the key, If you have followed and still having the issue. This could be a mechanical failure.

I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for further assistance.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issue as you do!

Got my 15'spectre a week ago and having space bar issues!!!!

HP Recommended
I have the same problem too - just bought it during thanksgiving 2017. How can I get this fixed ? Doesn’t HP have any repair options
This is really frustrating, having spent so much on this high end laptop
HP Recommended
The only solution is to replace the laptop. That what I did. But the replacement came with another issue - loose touch pad , so I had to replace that laptop too, the third laptop that came is good so far. HP really needs to improve their quality control.
HP Recommended

I've got the same problem on a Spectre x360 13 inch ae010nd

The spacebar only responds if you you press down firm in exactly the right spot. This is not doable while typing blind, I keep correcting my text every two or three words.

HP Recommended

This is a well known issue and a flaw in the computers, for which owners paid dearly.  HP needs to step up and do a recall.  I'm close to throwing mine away and I'll obviously buy another brand for life as a result of this known fatal flaw that HP is ignoring. 

HP Recommended

[removed per Rules Of Participation]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.