Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Big picture problem: laptop dies when unplugged.

I have:

- removed the battery, drained the capacitors and tried to reset.

- updated bios

-reinstalled battery drivers

-performed battery & AC adapter tests: both show PASSED

Other details:

- shows 100% charge, but dies when unplugged

- when battery is removed but plugged in, the laptop functions normally

Please let me know what else I can do. Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Plug in the power adapter and press the power button.

Immediately start tapping the F2 key to invoke the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI Utility.

Select Component tests and then battery tests. Run the test.

There is also a battery test in the HP Suport Assistant that you could use as an alternative that will provide the same result

Post your result here. 

Is your notebook still in the free factory one year warranty period?

Warranty check

https://support.hp.com/bg-en/checkwarranty

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The results of the test are below. My warranty was out 2 years ago.

battery test results snip.PNG

HP Recommended

In the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics utility, run the extensive system test, the system board and the power source and ac adapter test. You may have to update your installed HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI utility to perrform all of those tests.

We need to know the status of all three tests before considering that the system board may have a power distribution/charging circuit failure or  that there may still be a possible battery issue.

Looking at the battery test results, I see that the test was performed in the HP Support Assistant. The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics utility version is much more informative and extensive.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Here is the AC adapter test and the battery test. Both are split into two images. I will run the other tests and get them to you.Battery test part 2.PNGBattery test part 1.PNGAC Adapter Test rest of list.PNGAC Adapter Test.PNG

HP Recommended

I am still awaiting the result of the extensive system test.

I have another way to check the battery and the charge status over time and current state. 

Why not use Windows own built in reports?

In the search box type in CMD, and then right click the command prompt icon that appears above. Select Runas Administrator

In the command prompt window, type in powercfg /batteryreport

Use Windows Explorer to path to C:\\Windows\system32\battery-report.html and double click on it.

A browser will open with extensively detailed reporting on the battery and the state of yournotebook. 

That is a far better way to make an informed decision on battery or power adapter purchase.

HP Recommended

Is there a way to send you the pdf of the report? same for the extensive report

HP Recommended

Extensive Report:

Long Drive Self test.PNGDRV test.PNGVEMC test p3.PNGVEMC test p2.PNGVEMC test p1.PNGIRQ test p2.PNGIRQ test p1.PNGROM test p3.PNGROM test p2.PNGROM test p1.PNGCPU stress test p2.PNGCPU stress test p1.PNG

HP Recommended

Not the extensive hard disk report. The extensive system test. 

As an alternative, you can provide the system board test

HP Recommended

How do I do either of those tests?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.