Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ac0XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

My Spectre x360 is not recognizing an external WD external HDD (plugged into one of the USB-C ports) and an external CD-DVD drive (plugged into the USB 3.0 port). (It has also not been recognizing my girlfriend's Dell docking station, either.) Nothing shows up in Windows Explorer, for example. On my other laptop, a Lenovo Yoga, there are no issues with the external devices. What might be wrong with the Spectre's configuration and what could I do to fix this problem?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Estlin,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Is the external hard drive and optical drive working on a different port?

Are any other USB devices working on your PC?

While you respond, please follow the steps suggested in this support document for - HP PCs - Troubleshooting USB Connections (Windows 10, 😎

Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

I hope you have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I can now successfully connect the external hard drive and the external DVD Rom drive to my laptop using the laptop's USB 3.0 port. I cannot, however, use either of the USB type C ports to successfully connect either device. It would appear that the issue rests with those USB type C ports. What can I do to fix that issue?

HP Recommended

In this scenario, I would suggest here is to update the Bios, Chipset and graphics card drivers on your PC either from our HP support website, using this link or download it using HP Support Assistant

Download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

I hope this should do the trick. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. The proposed fix (updating the drivers and BIOS) did not work, unfortunately. The Thunderbolt/USB-C ports still do not recognize any external device plugged into them. The ports are good only for charging.

Any other possible solution to this issue?

HP Recommended

Let's try here to update the Intel Thunderbolt Controller driver from our HP support website, using this link.

Let me know the outcome!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That didn't work either, unfortunately. I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver too.

HP Recommended

In this scenario, I would suggest you contact our HP support team for further assistance. 

HP support team can be reached on this link.

Take care and have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.