Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360

I've have my Spectre x360 for several years now and the space bar recently started acting up, ignoring the key press on either end of the bar, but registering OK if I press the center of the bar.  Of course this is not practical or reasonable for typing at speed so I started digging around here and found that many others have experienced the same issue.  I even saw that several posts recommended getting a new keyboard or even replacing the entire machine!

I wanted to post here to say that I resolved my issue by using some electrical contact cleaner.  I used CRC QD contact cleaner, but any equivalent should work.  I powered my machine down (Shut Down, not Sleep), flipped back the display, and gently pulled up the corner of the spacebar (gently, not to pull the key off, but to allow access to the spray to get under the key) while spraying the cleaner underneath (use the provided straw that comes with the spray!).  I repeated on each corner.  I then toggled the spacebar repeatedly on the sides before the cleaner evaporated in order to work through whatever gunk was blocking the electrical connection.  Repeat.  After about 2 minutes of this, I let it dry another 3-4 minutes (make sure the spray has evaporated fully), powered it up, and viola it works like new again.  I highly recommend giving this a shot before spending a dime on other alternatives.

I wanted to reply to one of the threads about this but they are locked, so hopefully y'all will see this somehow.  Good luck!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Update on this.  I *thought* this solved my problem, but alas, within a day or two I started having problems again.  After more digging around, I found this topic:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/SOLVED-HP-SPECTRE-X360-spacebar-not-w...

This was my problem.  My battery was so swollen the keyboard and track pad were rounded up causing these issues.  I removed the battery and have ordered a replacement.  Thank you so much to ITNerd, the original poster in that thread!!!  I hope this helps somebody out there with this same issue.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Update on this.  I *thought* this solved my problem, but alas, within a day or two I started having problems again.  After more digging around, I found this topic:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/SOLVED-HP-SPECTRE-X360-spacebar-not-w...

This was my problem.  My battery was so swollen the keyboard and track pad were rounded up causing these issues.  I removed the battery and have ordered a replacement.  Thank you so much to ITNerd, the original poster in that thread!!!  I hope this helps somebody out there with this same issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.