Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion Notebook N5R46UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For the past couple years my laptop has acted strangely when connecting to usb devices, the rightmost usb will give me an error whenever any usb devices is connected to it stating "USB Devcies Not Recognized". However the 2 leftmost usbs ports worked just fine. 

However now for the past month, none of my usb connect to any devices, more specifically:

The right usb port still shows the same errors, but when connnecting a device to any of the two left ones, i get no error, but the computer doesn't respond to the usb device

i.e. i connect a usb blue yeti microsphone to my laptop, no error message pops up, however no message pops up stating that I'm connected to a device. When I try to use microphone the laptop will no give me an option to select the connected microphone, when I check under device manager the microphone is no where to be seen.

This same scenario happens when I try to connect a usb mouse, I do the right click test and no response. 

My current solution attempts have been to:

- Update drivers (laptop wont update because its the most recent version)

- Run Windows Defender to check for virus or malware (none were found)

- Change to power management setting of the USB Root hub to not turn it off to save power( worked before, not working now)

- Unistall USB drivers, restart the computer so it auto installs them again (still doesn't work)

- Turned laptop off, took out battery, held the power button for about 2 minutes, put battety back in and turned laptop back on.

- Resarted the laptop

- Did a hard shutdown of the laptop

- Reinstalled Windows 10 on my laptop

Another thing to note is that the usb devices still recieve power from my laptop, as in my mic has a mute button that flashes red when connected, but doesn't when disocnnected. 

I feel as though my only option left is to get the usb ports replaced,  but I would like to know before I do that what might be wrong with my laptop. 

My current deduction from looking online is that I may need to replace the usbs on my laptop

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

You should run a diagnostic scan on the usb ports. Tap esc as you power up, then F2 then component tests then find usb. If you do not have full UEFI diagnostics installed it can be done from a usb stick but that will not help if your ports are bad so I hope you do have full UEFI diagnostics installed. If not it can be downloaded to a special partition on the hard drive to give pre-boot UEFI diagnostics.

Download Diagnostics App Here 

If just the ports on the left were bad I would say you might have a bad usb board which connects to the motherboard on a ribbon cable and can be separately replaced. The USB ports on the right (as you look at the screen) are directly on the motherboard. Replacing USB ports on the motherboard is not a service you are easily going to find. And even then it will only help if the ports have some kind of physical problem and it is not a bad controller chip on the motherboard. Again, unlikely all the USB ports have a physical problem (i.e bent leads or something like that). 

Diagnostics will test each USB port and you need a usb device to insert during the test like a thumb drive. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.