Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello,

I brought my HP Stream 11 last year. Since then ive probably used it 3 times since purchase,

I want to download itunes on this notebook but it says i cant because its saying its not compitable with this device? Also its saying i need to update windows 10 but it says i need 6GB storage space in order to do so.

But the problem is its saying I have no storage at all which makes no sense because i havent downloaded anything on there at all.

I've unistalled all the apps and some things that i could that are alreadly downloaded on the notebook, How can i get more storage?

Could i buy a SD card will that make more room on the device and help me download the new update? Also is itunes compitable with this device?

Any info would help!

Thanks guys!! 🙂

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The Stream is not the best iTunes platform and its compatibility checker is going to look for free disk space before allowing it to install. Yes your best bet is going to be adding an SD card. Windows 10 will not let you install iTunes to the SD card but you can put the app on the C:\ drive and then use the SD card for the music storage. These 32 gig machines have caused all kinds of issues. The best thing we can tell you to do is a clean install of the newest Build of Windows 10 to bypass all the updates. Install in compressed mode and then turn off auto updates and make a few other tweaks. I have a tutorial where I did this step by step on a 32 gig machine and wound up with about 14 gigs free space with Windows 10, antivirus and antispyware plus Office 365. 

Post back if you want to see the tutorial. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks so much for replying.

Im not that familar with computers as a whole, because im more on my iphone/ipad. But i brought this for my writing that im starting soon.

And okay, but i could download itunes on here?

& yes please, a turtourial would be great as i need the help lol.

Thank you so much.

HP Recommended

Sorry this took so long but here is the tutorial:

HP Stream and similar laptops with 32 gig eMMC storage disks and Windows 10 are sometimes called Cloudbooks. This is an uncomfortably low amount of storage and

I got my hands on one in an effort to figure out how to configure it so it has a useable amount of storage space.

Out of the box the hard drive had 10 gigs of data on it. I then proceeded to do all the Windows updates and when I got to

updating to Build 1803 got this:

Low space after updatesLow space after updates

No room

So I backed up the desktop background and the original drivers to a thumb drive and went to the Microsoft Media Creation tool site and downloaded an .iso of Build 1803. Using an usb DVD drive I installed fresh Windows 10 wiping all the preexisting partitions and letting the installer make all new ones. 

tweaking the systemtweaking the system

Immediately after install the drive held about 15 gigs of data. I then used the "Compact OS' command to compress the drive. You open an elevated command prompt and type:

Compact.exe /CompactOS:always

Takes a few minutes, reboot and you are down to 10 gigs used out of 28 or so. 

I then turned off hibernation and set the swap file to be a constant 1 gig rather than the default 2 gigs the system was using and turned off system restore services. 

setting swap file to constant 1 gig

Because of the weak processor and 2 gigs memory on this model I also set visual effects to "best performance". This model had a free one year Office 365 license so I had saved off the Key Code and installed fresh from the Office 365 website using the Key Code. Lastly I installed CCleaner, Malwarebytes and Avast Free. 

final storage usagefinal storage usage

When all is said and done I had the latest Windows 10 version plus Office 365 plus security apps running in about 12.9 gigs of space. 

available space

I then turned off automatic Windows 10 and Office 365 updates. The laptop is actually fairly useable and now there is enough available space to store some documents and pictures. I plan to add a 16 gig micro SD card and move the Music, Downloads, Documents, etc. folder to it to make sure future use does not fill up the hard drive. 

For those users who are threatening to abandon HP because their sub-$200 laptop is not working as they say they were told it would I offer this option. I actually have seen people saying they bought one of these to run a business or use for college. 

Please let us know if there are any other questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

I don't know what language you were speaking, but I didn't understand one word.  OK, some sarcasm there, but you're a tech person, I'm not and I'm sure at least 80% of those of use that read this really don't know how to do what you did.  Why do I want to save anything?  Why can't I just delete all previous version?  Can I just do a factory reinstall to go back to the bare bones and just install the current update since I've been told that all new updates include all previous one.

A little background, I bought my Stream in November of 2016 and didn't open it until February of 2017.  I was able to do the small updates until August of 2017.  I got the notification that I didn't have enough space for that update.  Still under warranty I comtacted support and the person helping me had the nerve to argue that I was rediculous and fought with me for over twenty minutes until hem, in exasperation asked for permission to take over my computer screen.  Only then did he finally work with me.  The call lasted over an hour for him to delete and install and bring me up todate.  All was good with the world, I had a cute, lightweight and fast laptop again.  But wait, a new update was mandatory and lo and behold same **bleep**, new date.  This time I was out of warranty.  Of course I kept getting the ability to extend my warranty for $69.99 plus tax.  For what?  To be able to add updates?  I don't download pictures, music or save anything to my harddrive that didn't come with it.  I've deleted everything that I'm allowed to get rid of.  It's now December 2018 and it's the Same runaround.  I know you're trying to help but you are someone that as I said before knows technology, I but a laptop, plug it in, install virus protection and expect to get a couple of years out of it.   

I happen to have the Home Shopping Network turned on the other day and they were offering the HP Stream with the choice of 32 or 64 GB and bragging that all you have to do is install your updates twice a year and surf.  That's out and out fraud.  You can't do updates on the 32GB Stream.

When this first happened I call tech support from a company called Fry's Electronics, their support team is similiar to the Geek Squard except they will give you all the time you need to both ask questions and vent without charge.  I was told that for $100 they could "possible" fix the problem for this update but he was so honest that he told me that when the next update came around I'd be stuck again. 

So again, all the advice you gave isn't worth the provebial paper it's printed on.  To say to someone that wouldn't even know where to find any of the links your talking about I'm still stuck with a $220 plus tax Paper Weight.  

So thank you for trying to help enmass those of us that knew we were getting a no frills laptop and wound up getting sucker punched by a company that I myself have trusted for over 20 years between the HP and Compaq lable. 

Well if this is at all monitored, when I decided that I was getting a Chromebook (love it) I didn't even look at an HP. 

Thanks for trying.  Wish HP would do more then tell people to clean up temporary files,  I got a good belly laugh from that one.

HP Recommended

Sorry for your troubles. I am not a "tech person" at all I am a volunteer here and have a profession entirely unrelated to the tech industry. This is an instruction on how to clean install Windows, which is what you ask for. Your 32 gig machine can be made to work but we can't cure the real problem here. Good luck to you. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for even reading my post Huff.  And of course I'm sure you understood my sarcasm in my opening sentence, but I'm the person that knows some technical words or tasks and my friends come to Me for advise.  I know nothing about technology but have learned to do minor things on my phone or computer.  I've also learned to totally destroyed technology by trying, with my fingers cross, to update or fix something and have failed horrible.  

But as you said, all , those steps don't lead to a  cure for what Microsoft has done to us with the hump that needs to be transverse called the update of 2/2018.  Again from what I heard on HSN it seems that HP rep was bragging about the twice yearly windows updates with the choice of buying a 32 or64 GB Stream.  Doesn't make sense and HP isn't the only manufacturer still producing them.  The problem is Microsoft and then the manufacturers for letting Microsoft pressure them into installing the operating system.

Again, the most expensive paperweight I'll ever own.

Thanks

Donna

HP Recommended

could you kindly go over it again in simple words pls
im using a hp stream 14 and i am doen to 345mb of storage space

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.