Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
USB C Dock G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a work issued HP Probook laptop, and also the HP USB C Dock G5, so I can work from home.  The dock works beautifully with the laptop, but I also have a home PC, and would like to use the dock with that also, so I don't have to keep unplugging my mouse and keyboard from the laptop to PC.  I have the monitor connected to PC by DVI, and to the laptop via VGA (with a HDMI adapter) and that works fine. But, my home PC does not have a USB C port, so I bought an adapter for USB c that comes out of the docking station.  However, it doesn't work; the docking station only seems to connect when it is directly plugged into the USB C port on the laptop.  Is there any way around this?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

No the dock needs to connect to a real USB-C port. The adapter you have just is for charging a usb-C device such as a cell phone from a USB-A port. You could use a KVM switch which would allow you to hit a button and switch the mouse and keyboard from the dock to your home PC. Seems you already have the monitor connected to both the dock and the PC. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aten-CS22U-2-Port-Cable-Switch-black/dp/B002NTIZCG/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keyw...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.