Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP X2 Chromebook
Chrome OS

Hi,

Recently bought the wonderful X2 chromebook by HP. Couldn be happier, BUT out of the blue the letter m on my keyboard hasn't been properly lit anymore. Anyone else has this problem? Normally I wouldn fuss about something like this, but because the keyboard is so wondeful lit it stands out like a sore thumb right now when the sun goes down.

Thanks in advance for your reaction!

Dutchness

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi all,

I'm a happy HP'er at this point again. The keyboard got replaced twice. First without backlight, now the second WITH the backlight. Totally off topic but maybe important to others: what I noticed when I got the first keyboard recplacement, there was a noticable lag when starting up the device. Also the repair is fairly straightforward: just replace the entire keyboard. The 2 techies who came by with all their stuff gasped when they say how easy this 'repair' was.

Thanks for the help y'all!

Dutchness

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Dutchness

Welcome to HP support community.

Perform a power wash to fix this issue.

1. Sign out of your Chromebook
  2. Press and hold Ctrl + Alt + Shift + r. 
  3. Select Restart. 
  4. In the box that appears, select Powerwash Continue. 
  5. Follow the steps that appear and sign in with your Google Account. ... 
  6. Once you've reset your Chromebook:

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Sandytechy20,

Unfortunately that didn't do much. I'm beginning to think this is not a software problem, but a hardware one.

Can I have my keyboard base replaced?

Dutchness

HP Recommended

@Dutchness

Yes, this seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Now I got a replacemnet keyboard, but how do I turn on the backlight on this one? I cannot get it to function with the control or alt key and brightness combo which worked on my previous keyboard. ANY ideas?

Or did the replacers gave me a version of the keyboard without the backlight? 

Dutchness

HP Recommended

Did you get this resolved? There's a setting in the Chrome About->Setting menu where you can activate the flag to support the backlight.

Sadly, us US folks didn't get the option to purchase a keyboard with the backlight ( I know, because if I HAD, I would've chosen that over not having it!

HP Recommended

Hi all,

I'm a happy HP'er at this point again. The keyboard got replaced twice. First without backlight, now the second WITH the backlight. Totally off topic but maybe important to others: what I noticed when I got the first keyboard recplacement, there was a noticable lag when starting up the device. Also the repair is fairly straightforward: just replace the entire keyboard. The 2 techies who came by with all their stuff gasped when they say how easy this 'repair' was.

Thanks for the help y'all!

Dutchness

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.