Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy x360, 15M-BP112DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought the HP ENVY x360 2-in-1 15.6'' about a month ago and it started making very loud noise I think it's coming from the fan and accordingly it becomes very hot. The noise is very annoying that I can not use the laptop. I start university in a month and I rely heavily on my laptop. I need a solution to this problem please.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey there! @didi12, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand the cooling fan is making a loud noise and the laptop is getting overheated.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Do you get any cooling fan error on your PC?

Excellent description and a great diagnosis done. It is greatly appreciated.

Try the steps recommended below.

Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean.

Electrical components inside the computer generate heat while the computer is running. This heat can increase to the point where sensitive electronic components are damaged.
When heat builds up, the fan spins faster to remove the excess heat and thus makes more noise. Notebook computers have vents in the bottom and sides to remove heat, allowing air to flow through the case. If the vents become blocked, the fan cannot cool the components properly (and must spin even faster). If there is dust in the vents, use a can of compressed air to blow dust out of the area inside vents. When the computer is turned on, place it on a hard, level surface keeping the vent areas unobstructed. Using your notebook computer on a cloth surface, such as your lap, a bed, or couch cushion, can block the air flow and cause overheating.

Type Setting onto [Cortana] search box, click Update And Security, and select "Check for Updates". Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.

Update the BIOS, graphics and Thermal Framework driver on your PC and check if it helps.

Update the BIOS using this link. Click Here

Also, update the the thermal framework driver using this link. Click Here

You can also update other drivers on your PC using HP support assistant and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant. Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467905

Try restoring the BIOS to default and check if it helps.

Turn on your PC keep tapping the F10 key, you will boot into BIOS.

From the main or file menu select restore defaults.

Select F10 to save changes and exit.

Also, try running a system diagnostics on your PC and check if the hardware components on your laptop are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC. Click Here

If the diagnostics test passes it is a problem with the operating system. Try performing a recovery from F11 (System partition) on your PC.

Refer this article to know more information about performing recovery on your PC. Click Here

Refer this article to further troubleshoot fan issues with your PC. Click Here

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark an accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the time you took to reply to my question. I couldn't find the F10 button on the keyboard that I should use to boot into BIOS. I also don't understand what does the BIOS does

HP Recommended

@didi12, thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned you are not able to find F10 key on the keyboard. Please find the image attached below to know the function keys on your PC.

Note: The Marked one in the red is the F10 key.

And also as you wanted to know what BIOS does. Please refer the details below.

BIOS (basic input/output system) is the program a personal computer's microprocessor uses to get the computer system started after you turn it on. It also manages data flow between the computer's operating system and attached devices such as the hard disk, video adapter, keyboard, mouse and printer.

Hope this answers your query!

Take Care!:)

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, 

I tried all of the solutions but the laptop did not change, it is still making a very loud noise especially when I am charging it. I usually do not charge while I am using it but yesterday I used it while I am charging it it was making an extremely loud noise and it got really hot. It usually gets hot within 5 minutes of turning it on. I am really weird that there is something wrong with the laptop, it's still  new one and it has been like this since the day I bought and unfortunely I am outside the United States, so I do not know what to do. Can you please help me.

Regards...

HP Recommended

@didi12, Thanks for your prompt response and time.

You did a Marvellous job by trying the steps recommended previously.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Did you try running a system diagnostics test on your PC?

Also, try performing a push button reset on your PC and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about performing a push button reset. Click Here

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. It is a hardware issue with your PC.

I will send you few details through a private message. Please watch your inbox for more information.

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.