Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-au018ca

Hi

I bought a new hp laptop in November. Since i got it, ive beeb having the problem where it goes to sleep and will not turn back on. You would have to hold down the power button and completely shut down to get it to work again.

Yesterday i changed the sleep options to never go to sleep. However, it still did. Also holding the power button down no longer turns it off.

I know it is still in a sleep or hibernate mode because it is still charging devices like my phone.

The battery seems to be inside the device and not removeable.

Also i live in the arctic and cannot get to any store or repair place.

Any help would be appreciated 🙂

Ps it is windows 10

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@kdo37

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

The battery on your computer is removable as mentioned in my previous post if you are having trouble with the instructions sent,

I recommend you Contact HP to seek guidance to remove it via phone or to set up a service to get the computer repaired (Free if covered by an HP Warranty) as this is either a bad battery or adapter failure and since you haven't mentioned if you've attempted to check with an alternate adapter or wall outlet I request you to check the same and let the phone support tech know about it, to help set up the service faster (if need be).

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number to obtain a case along with the phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@kdo37

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand the HP laptop Powers on only by using the power button after it's put to Sleep,

No worries as I'd love to help, however, I need a few more details to provide an accurate solution:

is the computer booting into windows after you hold the power button and then restart it? if yes, please follow the steps below:

Step 1: Enabling the Keyboard in Windows

Skip this step if the computer does not enter sleep mode or if the computer wakes unexpectedly.

Follow these steps to enable your keyboard to wake your computer from sleep mode:

1. In Windows, search for and open the Device Manager.
  2. Click the arrow next to Keyboards and double-click the name of your keyboard.
  3. If the Power Management tab is available, proceed to the next step.

If the Power Management tab is not available, click the Change Settings button if it appears below the Device status box. The same Keyboard Properties window opens with the Power Management tab available.

If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

1. Click the Power Management tab and make sure that the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer is checked.
  2. Click OK, and then test to make sure that the keyboard can now wake the computer. If the computer still cannot wake from sleep mode, continue using these steps.
  3. For instructions on how to update the BIOS of your computer, see one of the following HP support documents: Updating the BIOS (Notebooks)

For more steps, please click here

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thank you so much for your reply.

Unfortuneately the power button does absolutely nothing. The computer hasnt turned on since it went to sleep. Holding down or pressing the power button does nothing to wake it.

The only thing i can think of to turn it out would be to disconnect the battery. However im not a tech savvy guy and id be worried about unscrewing the back of the laptop.... Since the battery is inside and not accessible.
HP Recommended

@kdo37

You've done a remarkable job performing the steps suggested earlier, great work 🙂 

And don't worry, as we should be able to fix this up with a few more steps and I'll be with you until we ensure this issue is fixed.

In that case, I recommend you try with an alternate power adapter if the battery is bad it would still work or power on with a good adapter,

Do you have a light showing next to the charger port, a little LED?

Have you checked with a different wall outlet?

If you have verified the AC power supply is functioning correctly, use the following steps to troubleshoot the battery:

NOTE:

Before beginning with this step, turn the computer over and look for a battery compartment door. If there is no battery compartment, you will be unable to perform these steps.

1. Remove the notebook battery and check the contact points to make sure they are not damaged.

2. Unplug all USB devices from the notebook.

Many notebook models continue to provide power to USB devices through the USB ports, even when the computer is powered off or in a suspended state.

3. Unplug the AC power cable.

4. Insert the battery into the battery compartment on the bottom of the notebook computer.

5. Plug the AC power cable into the computer and into an AC wall outlet, then allow the battery to charge for 15 to 30 minutes.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS AND STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS

(Continue from Step 6. under Troubleshooting the notebook battery)

For instructions on how to remove the battery (safe and sound): Click here to view your user guide (Page. 31 onwards)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks again for the reply.

As i mentioned, my battery is internal and cannot be removed. So i guess those steps wont workfor me.

Not sure what else to do
HP Recommended

@kdo37

The battery on your computer is removable as mentioned in my previous post if you are having trouble with the instructions sent,

I recommend you Contact HP to seek guidance to remove it via phone or to set up a service to get the computer repaired (Free if covered by an HP Warranty) as this is either a bad battery or adapter failure and since you haven't mentioned if you've attempted to check with an alternate adapter or wall outlet I request you to check the same and let the phone support tech know about it, to help set up the service faster (if need be).

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number to obtain a case along with the phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks again

I created a case with HP and they are sending a new power cord. I am positive the power cord is not tue issue though.

In any case, i talked to a tech friend on the phone yesterday and answered some of his questions.

He told me i have "no power, no post" and that its likely the mother board is toast.

Im going to contact HP again and tell them this. I guess ill be sending this computer away.

Ill accept your solution and give you a thumbs up though for all your trouble shooting efforts :).

Thanks
HP Recommended

@kdo37

I'm glad you found a solution that suits your needs for now,

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.