Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-bc550na Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi 

My laptop is fitted with 8 gb (8gb x 1) of ram and a Samsung MZVLB512HAJQ-000H1, 512gb, M2 drive.  I have the HP Pavilion Notebook PC, Maintenance and Service Guide. 

It has 2 ram slots one of which is currently empty.  The service guide on page 8 says it supports up to 8 GB max system memory (in bold letters) but then in the memory configurations shows an entry for 16 gb ( 8 gb x 2). I am confused can I install another 8 gb to make 16 or not.

It has 512gb M2 drive which I think Im correct is an NVME drive, there is an entry again on page 8, under HARD Drive, Dual storage Configurations

1 TB, 5400 rpm, 9.5 mm/7.2 mm hard drive + 512 GB SATA, TLC, M.2 solid-state drive

Am I correct in assuming this does not means I can install a 1 TB, 5400 rpm, 9.5 mm/7.2 mm hard drive along with my M2 drive

I ask this because further down there is an entry for :  PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 solid-state drive - 512 GB, NVMe, TLC as a single entry without any dual storage conditions.  

If this is the case would the laptop be noticeably slower if I was to remove the NVME drive and install a 1tb hdd and a 512gb SATA SSD.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Your notebook will accept a maximum of 64 GB of installed memory.

It is recommended that you replace both modules with identical 8 GB guaranteed compatible memory modules. With that method it will work the first time, minus the frustration you may face otherwise.

The hard drive interface is SATA3. not NVMe.

You can check that by invoking the device manager to see the brand and part number of the installed SSD.

Here is a source.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/pavilion-15-bc550na

use the information  on memory modules and SSD products you find there to use the https://uk.crucial.com/ website 

Search with your preferred search engine with  that as the keywords to see the specifications of what is currently installed. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hmm, thanks for that, good advice regards the memory and that is the route I have taken. 

Regarding the hard drive, while I am absolutely not an expert or even claim any great level of proficiency your advise confuses me. The HP manual and reported part number of my drive indicate it is NVME, SAMSUNG MZVLB512HAJQ-000H1. Indeed the Crucial website lists NVME drives as upgrades.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.