Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issue? Click here for tips and tricks.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion x360

Hi - hoping someone can help with this.

For background, I purchased this laptop in 2020. I use it mostly for school.

I started experiencing issues in September of 2022, when I noticed that when my laptop went to sleep, the touchpad would stop working. I realised that I needed to uninstall and reinstall one or two of the drivers, which had become hidden. This would happen every few weeks, but I saw that this was a common issue with the HP x360 Pavillion, so didn't overthink it. Over time, I realised I had to do this more and more frequently - sometimes, the laptop would boot up, and the touchpad wouldn't be working. I eventually got to the point where installing and reinstalling the drivers wouldn't work at all unless I did it six or seven times in a row. This also eventually stopped working - I had to do some sort of hard reset I found online. Now, nothing is working. I did a diagnostics thing on start up and it says there's a critical failure. Not sure what to do..

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Velaris08,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your HP x360 Pavilion touchpad. When the touchpad stops working, there could be various reasons behind it. Let's troubleshoot the problem step by step.

Check touchpad settings: First, ensure that the touchpad is enabled in the settings. Sometimes, accidentally disabling the touchpad can lead to this issue. To check this.

• Press the Windows key and "I" key together to open the Windows Settings.
  • Go to "Devices" and then select "Touchpad" from the left-hand side.
  • Make sure the toggle switch for the touchpad is in the "On" position.

Restart your laptop: A simple restart can resolve many temporary issues with hardware and software. Restart your laptop and check if the touchpad works after the reboot.

Update touchpad drivers: Outdated or corrupted touchpad drivers can cause problems. To update the drivers.

• Right-click on the "Start" button and select "Device Manager."
  • Locate "Mice and other pointing devices," and expand the section.
  • Right-click on the touchpad device (it might have a name like "Synaptics" or "ELAN"), and select "Update driver."
  • Choose "Search automatically for updated driver software" and follow the on-screen instructions.

Rollback touchpad drivers: If the touchpad stopped working after a driver update, rolling back to the previous version might help.

• Open "Device Manager" as explained in the previous step.
  • Right-click on the touchpad device and select "Properties."
  • Go to the "Driver" tab and click on "Roll Back Driver" if the option is available.

Check for Windows updates: Make sure your Windows operating system is up to date. Sometimes, system updates can resolve compatibility issues and bugs.

• Press the Windows key and "I" key together to open the Windows Settings.
  • Go to "Update & Security" and then click on "Check for updates."

Scan for malware: Malware and viruses can cause various problems on your system, including touchpad issues. Run a full system scan using your preferred antivirus software to ensure your system is clean.

External Devices: If you have any external mouse or input devices connected to your laptop, disconnect them and see if the touchpad starts working. Sometimes, conflicts with external devices can cause the touchpad to stop responding.

System Restore: If the touchpad was working correctly in the past and stopped after recent changes, you could try performing a system restore to revert your laptop to a point where the touchpad was functional.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.