Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-ba070ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product No. W8X89EA

Hard Drive: Toshiba MQ01ABD100 HDD

I'm afraid my hard drive has lost me. I tried to start Windows this morning but booting was not possible. The process just stopped with the hp logo and then the screen went into a greyish black. Only the mouse coursor was still visible. On another partition of the hard drive I have Ubuntu installed which I was able to run without trouble. From Ubuntu I was luckily able to save important data from the Windows partition.

I ran the short and long diagnostic test and received two failure IDs:

GLMXVA-84MAAQ-XD7X6J-61EC03

GLMXVA-84MAAQ-XD7X6J-60WL03

Is there a way to repair my hard drive or is there no way around of getting a new one? And if it's the latter: a) Is there a manual/guide that is easy to follow of how to replace the hard drive? b) Which hard drive would be compatible with my system that you would recommend? I wish it'd were a bit more reliable and not too expensive for a student budget. c) How can I reinstall Windows 10 afterwards as I didn't receive a recovery disk when I purchased that notebook back in 2016?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I'm surprised that you were able to get the files off the drive in Ubuntu.  That is good news.

I don't know of any way you are going to get out of your current dilemma other than by replacing the drive.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

HP Notebook PC (AMD) * Models: 15-ba100 – 15-ba199 * Models: 15-ba000 – 15-ba099 * Models: 15-bf100 ...

I would recommend that you purchase a better performing, normally more reliable solid state drive (SSD).

If you can live with 500 GB of storage, they are not too expensive.

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND Internal SSD Hard: Amazon.de: Computers & Accessories

You have two ways to reinstall W10...

Using another Windows PC with W7 64 bit or newer, you can create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Verbraucher-PCs - Verwenden des HP Cloud Recovery Tools (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Kundensupport

If the cloud recovery tool method doesn't work for some reason, you can make bootable W10 installation media by using the Media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP 15-ba000 Notebook PC series (Touch) Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

The W10 product key is in your PC's BIOS, so you will not need it to reinstall W10.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

I'm surprised that you were able to get the files off the drive in Ubuntu.  That is good news.

I don't know of any way you are going to get out of your current dilemma other than by replacing the drive.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

HP Notebook PC (AMD) * Models: 15-ba100 – 15-ba199 * Models: 15-ba000 – 15-ba099 * Models: 15-bf100 ...

I would recommend that you purchase a better performing, normally more reliable solid state drive (SSD).

If you can live with 500 GB of storage, they are not too expensive.

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND Internal SSD Hard: Amazon.de: Computers & Accessories

You have two ways to reinstall W10...

Using another Windows PC with W7 64 bit or newer, you can create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Verbraucher-PCs - Verwenden des HP Cloud Recovery Tools (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Kundensupport

If the cloud recovery tool method doesn't work for some reason, you can make bootable W10 installation media by using the Media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP 15-ba000 Notebook PC series (Touch) Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

The W10 product key is in your PC's BIOS, so you will not need it to reinstall W10.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul! Thanks for your super fast and helpful reply! This is giving me back a lot of hope! If it works out I'll come back and mark this as solved.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.