Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 17t -j100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop has two 1TB hard drives.

Can I set them up to run in Raid 0 or Raid 1 (preferably Raid 0).

What settings would I need to change in the BIOS?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Generally not but on that model you can. You are going to lose any information that is on either of the drives. Go into the BIOS (esc + f10) and turn off secure boot and enable legacy boot. It will ask you to confirm you really want to do that and say yes. 

When you reboot it will come up in the Intel Storage control in a DOS-like environment or at least give you the chance to tap Ctrl-I to do so. This will allow you to set up RAID arrays and you can set up either a Stripe (RAID-O) or a mirror (RAID-1) array. RAID-0 is faster but more insecure because if either drive dies you lose all the data; 2 drives, twice the chance of problems. 

This manual shows how to navigate the menus and set up the array:

https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/Intel_PCH_RAID_Config.pdf

If you go to install Windows on the RAID-0 array you will need to provide a RAID driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-?product=55...

As an aside, HP loaned me an Envy 17 in this product series a couple years back as my loaner: we use them for a year and donate to charity at the end. I experimented heavily with various SSDs and RAID configurations. A single SSD is much superior to even a matched pair of 7200 rpm mechanical drives in RAID-0 in terms of speed. The SSD is multiple times faster than a single hard drive and the RAID-0 maybe 30-40% faster.  

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Generally not but on that model you can. You are going to lose any information that is on either of the drives. Go into the BIOS (esc + f10) and turn off secure boot and enable legacy boot. It will ask you to confirm you really want to do that and say yes. 

When you reboot it will come up in the Intel Storage control in a DOS-like environment or at least give you the chance to tap Ctrl-I to do so. This will allow you to set up RAID arrays and you can set up either a Stripe (RAID-O) or a mirror (RAID-1) array. RAID-0 is faster but more insecure because if either drive dies you lose all the data; 2 drives, twice the chance of problems. 

This manual shows how to navigate the menus and set up the array:

https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/Intel_PCH_RAID_Config.pdf

If you go to install Windows on the RAID-0 array you will need to provide a RAID driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-?product=55...

As an aside, HP loaned me an Envy 17 in this product series a couple years back as my loaner: we use them for a year and donate to charity at the end. I experimented heavily with various SSDs and RAID configurations. A single SSD is much superior to even a matched pair of 7200 rpm mechanical drives in RAID-0 in terms of speed. The SSD is multiple times faster than a single hard drive and the RAID-0 maybe 30-40% faster.  

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Are there specific dangers to turning off Legacy and Secure Boot?

I'm assuming that in order to set up RAID the drives will have to be formated. How can I go about keeping/setting up the RAID driver?

If I am booting from a USB can I just store the RAID driver on the same USB? Will the RAID configuration be able to find the Driver?

HP Recommended

When you put 2 drives into a RAID-0 array the RAID utility will format the drives into the array. That is what destroys any other data on them and once done either individual drive is unintelligible to Windows and has to be reformatted as a single drive if you want to use it again. The site I linked in my first post has the instructions for building and activating the array. Its actually pretty self-explanatory once you get in there. 

No problem turning off secure boot. Windows 10 will install on either legacy or secure boot. 

You need 2 separate disks for Windows installation and RAID drivers, or, at a minimum you have to partition the single usb stick and put Windows install files on one partition and the RAID driver on the other. 

HP Recommended

Huffer, I read your comment carefully. 

I followed your instruction exactly. After modify BIOS, it will NOT " come up in the Intel Storage control in a DOS-like environment OR at least give you the chance to tap Ctrl-I to do so."

My notebook: HP Envy 17t-j100. OS Windows 8.1,  I replaced one 1T HDD with two 500GB SSD.

I updated the latest BIOS.

Could you give me an advice?

Thanks a lot.

HP Recommended

Were you able to enable legacy boot? I mean it has been a long time now amd my memory is dim on it. Let's go through what you see on the screen when booting after you enable legacy boot and the settings in your BIOS. I will look for the BIOS emulator for your model so I can follow along. 

HP Recommended

Yes, I modify the BIOS boot as "legacy boot" (disable secure boot).

Also, modify the USB 3.0 ... as "auto", however, nothing displayed regarding RAID.

During installation of Windows 8.1, I "load driver" ... which is downloaded from Intel website about ACHI ... but until end of process, nothing displayed regarding RAID.

After installation, download/run Intel RST driver ... nothing displayed/happened regarding RAID.

I have search/read in HP community, and tried everything I found here, but ... failed.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your quick response.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.