Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello everyone

My first language is German, but I will try in English, sorry for the mistakes 🙂 

Unfortunately my Laptop fell down from the bed, 1 or 2 days later I got Messages from the System (Windows 10) that there  is a Problem with the hard disk. 

HP support asked me to enter cmd.exe, which first didnt work due to the System being slow or any other reason I can't figure. Finally I managed to start the process, which took up to 24 Hours. Here is the result and my Question would be, what could I do next? (except buying a new Laptop... and obviously you cant get any more support from HP after the warranty of 2 yrs expired?) 

IMG_20210919_082252.jpg

I appreciate any help and wish a nice rest of the week end 🙂

Regards from Switzerland

Andrea

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, that was the information I was looking for.

This is your model notebook according to the product number you posted.

HP Notebook - 15-bs076nz Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05493257.pdf

You may want to consider replacing the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a better performing 2.5" solid state drive (SSD).

If you can live with 500 GB of storage, a 500 GB SSD is affordable.

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND Internal SSD Hard Drive, Blue 500gb: Amazon.de: Computer & Accessori...

There is no need to buy a new license or product key to reinstall W10.

The product key is in your notebook's BIOS.  You don't need it or even need to know what it is in order to reinstall W10 on the new drive.

You can use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...I tried to change the location at the bottom to Switzerland, German but it would not let me.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10) | HP® Customer Support

You can also use the Microsoft media creation tool to create a bootable USB installation drive and clean install W10.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

If you use the Microsoft tool, after W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP 15-bs000 Laptop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

So, if you can do the work yourself or with a little help from a friend, you can fix the problem for less than $60 Euros, and it will work better than new with a solid state drive.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi, Andrea:

From what my very weak understanding of German can tell, each line indicates that 'the file cannot be read,' correct?

I think all you would need to do is to replace the hard drive and reinstall Windows 10, but in order for me to help you with that, please post the full model number or product number of your notebook.

Use this guide to find that information...please do not post the serial number.

HP Notebook PCs  - Wie finde ich die Gerätebezeichnung oder -nummer? | HP® Kundensupport

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

Thanks a lot for replying to me.

You're right, "Datensatzsegement" means record segment (according to Google Translation) of the file can not be read. 

The ProductI ID is 1PA25EA, I think that is what you need?

When I bought the laptop Windows was already installed. I assume I would have to buy Windows again as well, if I change the hard drive? In any event the hard drive can be exchanged, it is not built in.. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, that was the information I was looking for.

This is your model notebook according to the product number you posted.

HP Notebook - 15-bs076nz Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05493257.pdf

You may want to consider replacing the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a better performing 2.5" solid state drive (SSD).

If you can live with 500 GB of storage, a 500 GB SSD is affordable.

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND Internal SSD Hard Drive, Blue 500gb: Amazon.de: Computer & Accessori...

There is no need to buy a new license or product key to reinstall W10.

The product key is in your notebook's BIOS.  You don't need it or even need to know what it is in order to reinstall W10 on the new drive.

You can use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...I tried to change the location at the bottom to Switzerland, German but it would not let me.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10) | HP® Customer Support

You can also use the Microsoft media creation tool to create a bootable USB installation drive and clean install W10.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

If you use the Microsoft tool, after W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP 15-bs000 Laptop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

So, if you can do the work yourself or with a little help from a friend, you can fix the problem for less than $60 Euros, and it will work better than new with a solid state drive.

HP Recommended

That sounds like a plan 🙂 Thanks a lot 🙂

I will read some more on the issue and then decide how much I can do myself and/or how to find somebody to help me with. 

I may try to do it. However, for instance the Windows button and entering commands at the left buttom Entering field/space doesn't seem to work anymore. I still have my old Laptop, it is slow, but I could do some Downloads here.. however it may be a Problem, not being able to open HP Cloud Recovery Tool on the other Laptop?

Great help, thanks again 😊 (sorry no  more exclamation marks available on my old Laptop  😉)

HP Recommended

Anytime. 

Glad to have been of assistance. 

Yes, you can install the cloud recovery tool on a different PC to create the recovery media. 

HP Recommended

Ok, thanks 😊- so there should be no obstacle for me to try then.

Except the great weather outside that calls for mountain hiking 😉

I will let you know whether I succeeded, but may not try before next week.

I was about to buy a new one, but your instructions seem very clear and encouraging. 😀

Lots of thanks again!!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Enjoy your hiking.

The weather in September is very nice here too in southern Illinois, but we don't have any beautiful mountains like you have in Switzerland.

Still, lots of places to go out and enjoy nature.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

I had to look up where Illinois is exactly - I'm sure it is nice where you live as well. 🙂

The other week I ordered the SSD Hard Drive you suggested and it arrived today. I managed to exchange it without any major problems. So I tried to start the laptop with the Recovery stick I prepared.

The system starts and I enter F9 and  choose the USB for the system to run the recovery. So far so good - after that though there is a failure notice saying that my computer doesn't support the Recovery stick, a code is shown as well. 

Do you have an idea what went wrong? 

Otherwise I might try the second option you listed. 

Thanks in advance 😊 

With regards to Illinois,

Andrea

HP Recommended

Hi, Andrea:

That is unfortunate the cloud recovery tool didn't work.

Your only other option would be to go with the clean install of W10 with the media creation tool.

Then install the drivers and available software that W10 doesn't install.

My wife is currently baking a couple of apple pies with some of the fresh apples we picked last week at a local farm.

We live about 30 km east of the city of St. Louis, Missouri.

It smells so nice in the house!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.