Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello, My son has a notebook 17-ca0003na with 1TB hard drive  (Sata) and 4Gb of RAM - I'm going to be apgrading the both the RAM size and HDD - can anyone confirm whether I can upgrade the Hard drive to a 500Gb Sata SSD or larger e.g. the Samsung evo6 version part code: MZ-76E500B. 

I looked at the options listed in the service and maintenance manual but Max size is 256Gb for M.2 Sata and 512Gb for M.2 PCie.

Also, what is the max speed for the DDR4 memory module - the manual shows only 2400Mhz

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I suggest that you open up the notebook and make sure there is a M.2 slot present because in chapter 3, I see additional parts listed to add a M.2 slot, which may not be there since the notebook did not come with a M.2 SSD.

Also, since it has an AMD A6 processor, if it has a M.2 slot, it will only support SATA M.2 drives not NVMe.

Only the notebooks with the Ryzen processors support NVMe SSD's.

Memory...your notebook only has one memory slot, and the max it can take is 1 x 8 GB of memory.

Speed...the processor runs the memory at 1866 MHz, so any DDR4 memory you install faster than 1866 MHz will only run at 1866 MHz.   I believe that DDR4-2400 memory is what you want, but 2666 MHz memory would also work albeit run at 1866 MHz.

Drive size...up to 1 TB for 2.5" or M.2 should not be a problem.

The capacities listed in the manual are just what HP offered in the model series.

Here is the link to the Crucial memory/SSD report the your notebook...

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-17-ca0003na

I do not believe that notebook has two memory slots though...

One memory module slot (E2/A6 processors)...chapter 1, page 2 of the manual.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

I suggest that you open up the notebook and make sure there is a M.2 slot present because in chapter 3, I see additional parts listed to add a M.2 slot, which may not be there since the notebook did not come with a M.2 SSD.

Also, since it has an AMD A6 processor, if it has a M.2 slot, it will only support SATA M.2 drives not NVMe.

Only the notebooks with the Ryzen processors support NVMe SSD's.

Memory...your notebook only has one memory slot, and the max it can take is 1 x 8 GB of memory.

Speed...the processor runs the memory at 1866 MHz, so any DDR4 memory you install faster than 1866 MHz will only run at 1866 MHz.   I believe that DDR4-2400 memory is what you want, but 2666 MHz memory would also work albeit run at 1866 MHz.

Drive size...up to 1 TB for 2.5" or M.2 should not be a problem.

The capacities listed in the manual are just what HP offered in the model series.

Here is the link to the Crucial memory/SSD report the your notebook...

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-17-ca0003na

I do not believe that notebook has two memory slots though...

One memory module slot (E2/A6 processors)...chapter 1, page 2 of the manual.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the very quick reply Paul, Very useful information, I think it doesn't have an M.2 slot from checking last time however I'll open the case  to double check before purchasing!

I can remember it only has one memory slot, and AMD processor.

The comments made about Ryzen supporting NVME is that the same for the Desktop CPU's?

Thanks again for the excellent information!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

On desktop PC's, it depends on what motherboard it has more than what processor it has.

You would have to look up the M.2 slot specs for the motherboard.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.