Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-au173sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

Hard drive has failed, so need to change. Can you suggest a hard drive for the machine?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Bobe123 

The HP specs for your model indicate it came with a 1TB laptop SATA drive, and a slow one at that.

Any SATA laptop drive can be used to replace it, as they are all the same size and use the same connectors.

You can get faster 1TB SATA drives now, but for better performance, you could consider a SATA SSD -- which is a drop-in replacement.  The SSDs, while cheaper now, are still more expensive than the HDDs, so the choice comes down to how much you are willing to spend.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Many thanks for your reply. I will check out the SSD hard drive and get back to you if I need further help, if that is OK?

HP Recommended

@Bobe123 

Just so you don't buy the wrong thing -- there is no such thing as an SSD hard drive.  There are HDDs (Hard Disk Drives) and SSDs (Solid State Drives).  So, be sure to buy the right kind.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

thanks thanks for that. The laptop is my daughter’s, she is at Uni, so because of price we will go for the HDD.

I have check around and could you give me your verdict on this one :

819C82B1-4DA2-4F04-BE81-FF4647BB9D3D.jpeg
many thanks 

Bob

HP Recommended

FF8DE9E2-EFC1-4150-B0CC-2A2ABA53A21F.jpeg
sorry picture didn’t show on message. Hope this one comes through.

HP Recommended

Hi me again. Still not sure if the pictures came out. Here are the specs

Seagate 1TB 2.5 inch

5400 rpm 128MB Cache SATA Hard Drive

7mm Slim

SATA 111 Interface

2.5 Form Factor

Will this one fit the laptop?

once again many thanks

Bob

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.