Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Touch top model #15-f010wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product number J8A22UA#ABA

I have to replace the hard-drive and want to upgrade it in the process.  What are the limitations to hard-drive upgrade?  What is the best hard-drive this machine can take?  Basically what hard-drive should I be looking for to upgrade the drive economically as this machine isn’t worth putting a lot into?

Thanks for your time

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Yes, that would be the 1 TB version of the one I recommended, and if I were in the market for a 1 TB drive, and I will be when the 1 TB hard drive I have in my wife's PC dies, I will need one with more space for her photos, etc., that will be the one I buy.

I don't even need 500 GB of space on my notebooks and the desktop PC I use now, but I couldn't pass on such a low price for a great performing drive.  I actually bought it for $5 less a couple of months ago.  I guess they raised the price a little.

I've been using the 240 GB versions and still have space on a couple of my other notebooks and desktop PC's.

It wasn't too long ago when the 240 GB versions cost as much or more than the 500 GB one does now, so the price of SSD's has come down over the last few years.

No doubt there are slightly better performing 2.5" SSD's, but not at that price per performance level, IMHO.

Yes, they probably use the same circuit board for many different PC's and the ones with the Intel core processors have two actual slots.

Pentium and Celeron processors can only handle up to 8 GB, which is why the second place for the memory is incomplete.

Some of the Pentium and Celeron notebooks don't have fans either, but there is a place for one.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you can live with 500 GB of storage space, this is a very good performing budget priced solid state drive. 

I have one and really like it a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-NAND-500GB-Internal/dp/B072R78B6Q/ref=sr_1_1?hvadid=78546413739...

Here is the link to the service manual for your notebook where you can find the HDD R & R procedure.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04763947

I don't know how much money you want to put into it, but while you have it apart, you may want to consider removing the 4 GB memory module and replacing it with an 8 GB module. 

Your PC only has one memory slot, so you can't add another 4 GB chip.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  And yes I have definitely been considering upgrading the ram. I saw another slot on the board so it was disheartening to learn that I could not just add another 4 MB chip.

1) Would you also offer a link to a solid 8MB replacement.  What I am hoping to gain from this is an alleviation to Sin 10 (err Win 10) wanting to use 100% of disk for several minutes at a time despite my best efforts to reduce the tasks that have high drain on that aspect. 

RE Hard-drive replacement

2)  Is that a swap that can be made without any further reworking?  I.E. Can I just take computer apart per instructions and swap the drive and put it all back together without needing to change anything else?  

3)  I was considering upgrading from the 5400 to 7200 and staying at the 500 GB thinking I might get away with spending $35 or so. I have not used a SSD before but had been considering it.  Would the SSD actually make a noticeable improvement to issue I mentioned above?

Thank you for your time

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, a SSD will run circles around even a 7,200 RPM drive. 

Well worth the extra money, and you can move it to a different notebook down the road.

The 2.5" SSD replacement would be a direct swap for the 2.5" mechanical hard drive.

It will fit right where the one goes now.

I used this model 8 GB memory chip in my HP 350 G1 which uses the same DDR3L-1600 memory as yours.

Works fine.  I bought the 16 GB kit because my notebook has two memory slots.

The crucial memory site lists this 8 GB chip as the one for your model too.

https://www.newegg.com/crucial-8gb-204-pin-ddr3-so-dimm/p/N82E16820148679

Amazon has the same chip, but it costs more...there is a $3 off coupon though.

...and getting it directly from Crucial costs even more...

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/hp-15-f010wm/CT6287904

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Single-PC3-12800-Unbuffered-204-Pin/dp/B006YG8X9Y/ref=sr_1_3?keywords...

HP Recommended

Hello 

Again, thank you so very much for your help.  Yes, that is quite the difference in prices for the memory stick. Let me correct myself by altering my comment about the memory slot. What I meant to say was that I saw the bracket on the board, but upon further inspection there wasn’t an actual slot.  Anyway,  I will be purchasing your recommended memory stick as well. 

Re: Hard-drive 

I really only have one more simple question. As you make the valid point of taking the drive with me to my next system, I am now considering 1 TB to ensure space for a future OS (This would also allow me to offload my external usb drive and repurpose it for additional XBOX storage).  So the question is would the same hard-drive you recommended still be best option in the 1TB category?

I found this one: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-NAND-Internal-SDSSDH3-1T00-G25/dp/B071KGRXRG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?key...

Just making sure this is same drive you recommended in 1TB instead and that it is still best choice in this category.  

Thank you you so very much.  When you know just enough to be dangerous like myself, having someone like yourself recommend really takes the anxiety out of it. 

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Yes, that would be the 1 TB version of the one I recommended, and if I were in the market for a 1 TB drive, and I will be when the 1 TB hard drive I have in my wife's PC dies, I will need one with more space for her photos, etc., that will be the one I buy.

I don't even need 500 GB of space on my notebooks and the desktop PC I use now, but I couldn't pass on such a low price for a great performing drive.  I actually bought it for $5 less a couple of months ago.  I guess they raised the price a little.

I've been using the 240 GB versions and still have space on a couple of my other notebooks and desktop PC's.

It wasn't too long ago when the 240 GB versions cost as much or more than the 500 GB one does now, so the price of SSD's has come down over the last few years.

No doubt there are slightly better performing 2.5" SSD's, but not at that price per performance level, IMHO.

Yes, they probably use the same circuit board for many different PC's and the ones with the Intel core processors have two actual slots.

Pentium and Celeron processors can only handle up to 8 GB, which is why the second place for the memory is incomplete.

Some of the Pentium and Celeron notebooks don't have fans either, but there is a place for one.

HP Recommended

Thanks again!  I am going to place an order for one of those two hard-drives and the memory stick.  This has definitely been best forum post I have been a part of to date.  If I have trouble with getting Win 10 loaded on the drive I’ll be posting here under appropriate section.  

HP Recommended

Anytime.

You should have no problem reinstalling W10.

Make a bootable USB flash drive installer using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you get to the part of the W10 installation process where you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Then you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-15-Notebook-PC-series/7137590/model/7280689

HP Recommended

Hello,

I just wanted to post an update.  I am writing this reply on my repaired machine.  I got the 500 GB Sandisk SSD and the Crucial 8 GB RAM stick.  Following your links made installing Win 10 a breeze.  I must say that I have yet to see Win 10 run  as smoothly as it seems to be running now even on better systems (although those systems were not sporting a SSD).  Thank you so very much again for your referrals and guidance.  Take care!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Thanks for letting us know how the project went.  Glad it went very well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.