Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Gaming Pavilion - 15-cx0056wm

Hard drive replacement for HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop? Any recommendations?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

It appears yours came with a 1TB 7200 rpm hard drive, yes? The best performance replacement drive to use would be to go to a NVMe drive, however, in my opinion, the more user-friendly route (and still far better performance than the hard drive it came with) would be to purchase a 1 TB 2.5" SSD drive.  Go to Amazon and purchase a 1 TB 2.5" SSD, I recommend the Samsung 870, San Disk Ultra, WD Blue, or Crucial drives, any of these are safe choices. (The Samsung 870 IMHO is the best, but also just a bit pricier).  NVMe drives are faster still, but frankly, you'd be hard pressed to actually sense much of a difference, while the upgrade to any SSD drive will seem incredible versus the original hard drive.

Now, you can opt to install a NVMe drive instead - the advantage being it is even faster (and you can retain the original hard drive as additional storage).  Recommended drives?  I recommend staying to drives known to run reasonably cool for laptop usage.  The Hynix Gold P31 is maybe at the top of my list for performance combined with cool running.  Also the Samsung SSD 980 or WD Blue 570 are fine choices.  (Don't go for a Gen 4 NVMe, your PCIE slot won't allow it to perform better than a Gen 3 NVMe drive anyway)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.