Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp Laptop 15t-da100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So my fairly new laptop I got it directly from HP around August 20th, and it’s making a clicking noise (almost sounds springy) every so often while it’s running and everytime I open up the laptop, I believe it’s coming from the hard drive. Please help is this normal?!?! I don’t know much but I saw a video of HDD Head parking sound and it sounded similar I thought but I don’t know. The sound is more towards the end but it doesn’t sound exactly like what mine is just similar I thought.

https://youtu.be/gtAJTb0WFUI

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hard drives have a motor and metal plates spinning at 5400 or 7200 rpm about as fast as a race car engine so they make noise. You should run some diagnostics on the hard drive using the UEFI diagnostic environment. This will stress the hard drive with Windows not even running so you can tell if its the hard drive making the noise and it will also say if there is a problem with the hard drive. Tap esc quickly as you power up then F2 to enter diagnostics. 

HP Recommended

I did what you said and it found no problems but I only ran the full test once. Now as of this morning it's making a new noise right when I open the laptop when it spools up it makes a noise like a scratch but only very briefly, and still does that little click when it starts up and occasionally while running. I am very worried and I can't get in touch with customer support because it can't find my product.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.