Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 17-x025na laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've recently received my new laptop which comes with a single 8Gb stick of SK Hynix 2133MHz memory.

Although I don't have an immediate need, in the past, I've always looked to see how much an upgrade would cost by downloading and running, say, the Crucial scanner. However it isn't showing if there is an upgrade. It isn't clear whether the laptop comes with two memory slots or one.

If anyone can advise, that would be great, and if anyone has upgraded to add another 8Gb, was it easy? I don't particularly want to take my new machine apart especially as it seems I would have to take several bits off to get at the memory unlike my older laptops which were under a single panel.

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, I am also surprised the Crucial Scanner doesn't report that info.

I have zipped up and attached the free Hardware Info utility below.

Unzip and run the file and it will report all the info regarding your PC.

On the main window right side of the page, there is a Memory Modules section.

Drop down on that and it should show you the populated slots.

Then when you close out of that window, on the left side of the window, there is a memory section which should also show the memory and slots.

You should be able to go to Crucial's site and manually find the memory you need by filling out the PC info.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Please refer to the service manual, chapter 1, page 2 for the models that have two memory slots.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05122688

The models with the Pentium/Celeron processors only have 1 memory slot.

HP Recommended

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. Any idea why the tools from Crucial, for example, can't decide what the upgrade options are? ever had that before - normally they can identify the number of slots, what is installed, and advise the combinations of upgrades.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, I am also surprised the Crucial Scanner doesn't report that info.

I have zipped up and attached the free Hardware Info utility below.

Unzip and run the file and it will report all the info regarding your PC.

On the main window right side of the page, there is a Memory Modules section.

Drop down on that and it should show you the populated slots.

Then when you close out of that window, on the left side of the window, there is a memory section which should also show the memory and slots.

You should be able to go to Crucial's site and manually find the memory you need by filling out the PC info.

HP Recommended

Thank you once again. The program you sent me is showing one row only so I guess it only has one slot that is filled - a bit strange comparing it to the manual which you sent and which I had seen before I bought it. 

Good job that 8Gb is enough to be going on with then! 🙂

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Very odd that the specs for your notebook indicate it should have two memory slots, but in fact only has one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.