Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Model 15-f009
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have an HP laptop (model 15-f009wm). How in the world do I toggle the touchpad on and off easily? I know how and where to disable it, but that really doesn't help. I want to be able to turn it off, type, and turn it back on when I want to switch programs, windows, or just quickly move the cursor. I've never had a laptop before this one that didn't have a toggle button somewhere on the keyboard to turn the pad on and off. Someone thought it might be a double tap on the touchpad, but that doesn't work either.

I had been using an external USB mouse for this problem. I could plug in the USB dongle, type or whatever, and unplug it to regain use of the touchpad. A few months ago, the laptop stopped recognizing the external USB mouse in any of the 3 USB ports. I've bought a new mouse, but it doesn't recognize the new one either. I mean, it loads the new device drives, but operating it doesn't happen. When checking all drives and hardware, it tells me that there is something plugged into the USB but lists it as an Unknown devise for which no drivers are available for. The USB ports will recognize a flash drive plugged in, but not a mouse. Any ideas what is going on with this?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Kat430

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service (Like a Genie, however, without magic powers) 😉

Could you check if the mouse is detected under the device manager? you can check in device manager, I know it is difficult to navigate without a mouse so either use the touchpad or hold START + R to bring up RUN then type "devmgmt.msc" and hit enter.

• (Enable legacy USB support in the bios as well by tapping F10 during a restart).
  • Then, use the above steps to get to the Device Manager > Press TAB once then use the down arrow to navigate to "mice and other pointing devices" and use the right arrow to see what shows up > if it doesn't show up, right click on each USB root hubs and click uninstall, once the device is restarted, all root hubs will reinstall automatically.

Update the BIOS & Chipset drivers: Click here to find and install the same.

Meanwhile, here's all you need to know about toggling the touchpad: Click here for details.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for helping. I've gone into Device Manager and under Mice/Pointing Devices the Synaptic PS/2 Port TouchPad is all that shows up. Under other devices it shows 4 Unknown devices and 1 USB receiver (which I assume is the dongle for the wireless mouse). I have uninstalled the USB Root Hub and will see what happens when I restart the system.

I did go to the site to download the BIOS and Chipset...BUT nothing actually downloads. I get to the page that says "You are downloading the following files" but nothing downloads. There are no error messages, nothing in download file, it just sits on that page and does nothing.

HP Recommended

Okay. As I now understand it: 

1)There is no toggle for the touchpad. Why didn't someone just tell me that? I CANNOT turn off the touchpad without going into settings turning it off, getting out of that then going back to typing. Then when you need the touchpad again, I have to go back through the touchpad setting to turn it back on. Take about 3 minutes each time I want to do this and as a writer, that is a waste of my time. Every few minutes I would be doing this. OR I can use a wireless mouse which when plugged in (and properly set) will turn off the touchpad. I can then just use the mouse or I can unplug the mouse to go back to the touchpad. However, I cannot use mouse as laptop refuses to recognize the wireless mouse. Basically, I have to live with the touchpad always on or buy another computer. 

2) Deleting the USB Root Hub did nothing. The updates from the HP website will NOT download. I have tried several times and nothing. 

I'm not sure where to go from here other than to the store for a different laptop that has a toggle for the touchpad.

HP Recommended

@Kat430

Thank you for responding,

I understand your concern and I'm afraid it is what it is, that model doesn't go with the tap toggle option for the touchpad, that said, to help you with this I should be able to forward your issue to the concerned department, however, the instructions to help you sort this out, can't be shared in public as such due to HP's privacy statement: Click here to learn more.

That said, please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, using the blue envelope: 

Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums

I hope your day gets better, good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.