Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 P0A45AV 15"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there a way to turn off the permanent light on  F5 Backlight Key For HP Spectre x360 P0A45AV 15"  convertible?

Another thread mentioned that it was a BIOS update, but when I run my HP Assistant it shows that there are no updates available.  I have also checked for an available update by going directly to the HP support site and once again no BIOS updates seem to be available for this particular model.  I would really love to disable this light.  It seems to have been a design error to have the light enabled when the keyboard backlight is OFF.  It should have been designed to be enabled when the keyboard backlight is ON.

Any info on if there is a solution for this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

M.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@MisixM

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 P0A45AV 15" laptop and would like to know if the F5 backlight key can be turned off permanently because the F5 light is always on even though you turn off the backlight. You seem to have checked on a thread that a BISO update should fix this. You have tried to search for the BIOS update using the HP Support Assistant and there was no BIOS update found. I'd like to help you with this case.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Was the F5 key like this since the beginning or it started acting like this recently. 

Meanwhile, I did some research and found the available BIOS update for your laptop model. If the laptop already has the BIOS updated then it may not update it again. Please open this link to view the available BIOS update for laptops with Intel processors: http://hp.care/2lEbE7x 

Please feel free to let me know how it goes. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended
Hello MKazi,

Thank you for the quick follow-up on this.

Yes the F5 backlight key has been on permanently since the computer was purchased in April 2016.

I would like to also mention that although there us BIOS update for this model, my system has already been updated to the most current BIOS version, which is F12 release date October 18, 2016. So the BIOS update did not correct the problem. I have verified my BIOS version by checking the system registry and it is identical to the BIOS update that is available online.

Was this BIOS update intended to correct the problem?

If so, can you think of a reason why the BIOS update did not correct the problem on my particular unit?

Since I am running the most current version of the bios for this system I am not sure what else to do.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

M.
HP Recommended

@MisixM

You're welcome and thank you for replying. 🙂

The BIOS update was actually released to provide support for SSDs. However, I did some further research specifically for the HP Spectre x360 laptop series and found that the F5 key is designed to always remain on. Hence there is no option to turn off the F5 key.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to let me know if you have anymore questions. Thanks again! 🙂

HP Recommended
@MKazi Thanks for the reply. It's a bit disappointing to hear that there is no fix for this issue, as having the light on permanently is really unwanted by most users. I do hpe that HP will take note of the numerous comments regarding this and offer an update that would enable the light to be off, unless backlight is in use. If there is a channel to make the suggestion and you could pass it along that would be much appreciated.

M.
HP Recommended

@MisixM

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

HP Recommended
@MKazi. Thank you for your assistance!

M.
HP Recommended

@MisixM

Sure! You're welcome. 🙂

HP Recommended

You don't say whether you went into the BIOS settings (F10 after a restart) to see if the option is there. The new BIOS update doesn't 'fix' the problem because it's not a problem. The new BIOS gives us the option to turn that light on and off, but you have to go in and change it.

Caveat - I have a 13" Spectre with the f5 light, but I disabled it in the BIOS after the update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.