Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
17-by1033dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased a new HP laptop and there doesn't appear to be any way to disable or turn off the touchpad.  My last HP laptop had a button next to the touchpad to enable/disable but this one doesn't have that. When I go into Windows 10 settings for mouse and touchpad there is not an option to disable the touchpad.

The touchpad being enabled interferes when I'm typing on the keyboard so a solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated. Ideally it would be nice if the touchpad was automatically disabled whenever a mouse was plugged into a USB port.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This has been resolved. Got through to HP chat support and they fixed the issue remotely.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello

you forgot the write which is the new laptop model.

bye

HP Recommended

I just added the product model #... 17-by1033dx.

The product number is 6HS48UA#ABA

HP Recommended

Hello

I don't know details about that product , but in Windows you can open Device manager , then expand "Mice and other pointing devices" , then look for the touchpad, righ clink on it , then select disable. If disable in not available, you selected a wrong device.

om my notebook I have Synaptic HID ClickPad

when you need to have touchpad working, same path, then select Enable.

command I used are:

.\devcon64.exe find *SYN*    (ENTER) , this is to find all device including SYN in the description

this was the result:

ACPI\SYN3071\4&1356EC6B&0 : Synaptics Pointing Device
HID\SYNA3071&COL04\5&4F0E64E&0&0003 : Synaptics HID Device
HID\SYNA3071&COL03\5&4F0E64E&0&0002 : Microsoft Input Configuration Device
HID\SYNA3071&COL02\5&4F0E64E&0&0001 : Synaptics TPFHID Device
HID\SYNA3071&COL01\5&4F0E64E&0&0000 : Synaptics HID ClickPad:

ACPI\SYNA3071\4&31D068B0&0 : I2C HID Device

Then to disable Synaptics HID ClickPad I used this command

.\devcon64.exe disable *HID\SYNA3071*COL01

to re-enable it

.\devcon64.exe enable *HID\SYNA3071*COL01

you can create a batch file to disable and re-enable the touchpad in this way.

devcon64 can be found in Internet and is released by Microsoft.

bye

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. When I go to Device Manager it says I have an ELAN Touchpad. When I right click it there's not an option to disable it. Only options are update driver or uninstall the device. I'd prefer to disable instead of uninstall.

I'm not sure there's a way to disable my touchpad without uninstalling the touchpad. If that's the case then it's an HP design flaw for the particular laptop I have.

HP Recommended

This has been resolved. Got through to HP chat support and they fixed the issue remotely.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.