Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a  brand new HP ENVY 17T Windows 10 64-bit.

I need help to "disable" the Fn keys 1-12.  For exmaple, when I press F2.  It defaults to "Lower display brightness" function for me to change.  F6 is to mute the sound system speaker, F7 and F8 for volume control, and so on.

I wish these de facto functions to be disabled, because when I run EXCEL, for example, and press F2 to change a cell's content, I have to press 2 keys: (Fn) + (F2).  Otherwise it defaults to the Lower display brightness.  Similarly with some of the other Fn keys.  I recall from the old days this involved getting into the BIOS Setup program, but I can't seem to locate it.  Would be grateful for some guidance.  Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RTX

Welcome to the HP Support Community

To disable, or enable, the function key (fn) in the BIOS, do the following steps.

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

3. Press the f10 key to open the BIOS setup window.

4. Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.

Figure : BIOS setup window

BIOS setup window with the System Configuration option and Action Keys Mode selected
  5. Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.

6. Select the desired mode:
    • Disabled.

• Enabled.

7. Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.

The function key (fn) option can be reset at any time.

Keep me posted, Hope this helps you.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@RTX

Welcome to the HP Support Community

To disable, or enable, the function key (fn) in the BIOS, do the following steps.

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

3. Press the f10 key to open the BIOS setup window.

4. Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.

Figure : BIOS setup window

BIOS setup window with the System Configuration option and Action Keys Mode selected
  5. Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.

6. Select the desired mode:
    • Disabled.

• Enabled.

7. Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.

The function key (fn) option can be reset at any time.

Keep me posted, Hope this helps you.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Many thanks Raj1788!  Much appreciated.

HP Recommended

@RTX

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution!

Take care now and do have a great week ahead.

:)Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.