Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 17.3 inch Laptop PC 17-c0000 (2W0H9AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My device came with two USB slots, and so I am trying to get USB hubs. I have ordered one on ebay that is 3.0, and i might be taking a chance. I am asking questions for a 2.0 version from bestbuy. I don't understand all the electrical questions. Like they say it can take 5 volts input, but 500 output. I am trying to figure if it is total input, and total output. I also want to find out what the system can handle so it isn't overloaded.

My old system had more slots. The current one says hp laptop pc 17 c0000 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

How do I know specifically how many devices and the power that comes from them my system can handle through a USB hub?

HP Recommended

Every USB device has different power requirements to function properly so you'd need to find out the maximum your USB port/hub can support then look up the requirement(s) of the USB device(s) you plan to use. For example a USB powered mouse will require much less to work than charging your phone via USB, as long as the device you plug in doesn't exceed the maximum your USB port/hub can provide then you'll be fine. Basically if for example you have a USB port that can support up to 5A (amps) then the device you plug in cannot exceed that limit without risking damage to the port. As for multiple devices then the total amount of required power for all of them cannot exceed the maximum the USB port can provide for stable operation without risk of damage.

HP Recommended

That is complicated, as most of the devices do not have original packaging. 

a hub I purchased I was only told it can be  overpowered or something like that and maybe convert it. I have a xerox printer and I want to try two old scanners. These probably won’t be used all the time. I have a dvd writer that used 5 volts, a Wacom tablet, iPhone se and garmin drive 5. Laptops don’t have as many ports as they used to and not tons of ports anyways. 

Best Buy is not answering questions clearly and their site is bugged regarding showing all answers. They just say it is not an outlet and depend on the computer power. I don’t have a current functioning desktop, and 12 years ago, I ran a xerox printer from a Vaio and also a scanner from it. Everything I needed to use was ran from the Vaio. I would alternate a Samsung printer and xerox printer. Probably also external hard drives. DVD writer was built in. 

so it didn’t seem like a puzzle to try to plug everything into my system. Yet somehow the printers originally plugged into a gateway desktop, so perhaps the Vaio did not only have USB ports. But I have wanted to use these devices on the previous laptop and would like to on the new one,  and it only has two USB ports. 

HP Recommended

I can't say specifically but I can say that the typical maximum power supplied by a USB 3.0 port is 900ma (0.9A) so any device or combination of devices cannot exceed that limit. For a detailed explanation on powered and merely bus powered hubs (youd want the former) you can check this link; https://superuser.com/questions/1460313/what-is-the-maximum-power-supplied-by-a-usb-3-0-port

HP Recommended

That gives some information, but what doe you think this means:

513B515C-A1F0-45FF-A412-9C74D8709E40.png

 the covered letters on the top are “AC.”

HP Recommended

I understand this is a community forum for support for hp computers, and not really an electricity forum, but if you or someone might answer the above question, please help. It will be appreciated. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.