Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-e001ax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Problem with current HDD:
My HP Laptop 15-e001ax  Hard Disk shows SMART DISK ERROR and I tried to fix it by running all possible scans. I am unable to install any Windows 10 Updates and I think it is because of HDD Failure. It has crashed in past too, so this time I decided to replace it with a new HDD.

Bought New HDD:

I bought Seagate 1TB Laptop HDD - ST1000LM048 and installed Windows 10 from Official Windows website, via USB drive.

After using it for few days, I received an Windows update notification and I left the laptop for update. The next day When i turned it on, it showed an error message that Windows had shut down my laptop to avoid heating. 

I restarted it, to see an error that No OS found on the drive. Tried to boot it from USB again, but it gets stuck in the hp logo. 

Questions:

1) Is this happening because my new Seagate HDD is not compatible with my laptop?

2) How do I check the compatible hard drives for my laptop?

3) Should I buy only Hitachi HDD as it was an OEM Part when I bought this laptop?

Thank you for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The SMART disk error is an indication of a hard disk failure. Replacing the OEM hard drive was the right thing to do. 

The no OS found is likely to have been caused by the Windows 10 update. 

Don't forget to install the AMD Radeon HD 8650M/8670M graphics driver software.

The driver software package includes the chipset drivers for your notebook's system board.

The Seagate mobile 2.5"  SATA-3 HD you installed is compatible with your notebook, although frankly speaking, I would have installed a SATA3 SSD instead to get the performance boost.

See the following HP pdf Maintenence & Service guide document on page 5 for the hard disk compatibility list.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03939658

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. 

SSD is great but out of budget for this old laptop. 

I did check page no. 5 on the below link, but it shows only 1  part no. for 1 TB HDD. While I am confused on wether all 2.5 inch HDD are compatible with this laptop. 

Or is there any way to boot windows/fix windows in the current new Seagate HDD?

HP Recommended

Create a Windows 10 USB installer. Use it instead of the DVD used as installation media in the following video.

After you have repaired the issue don't forget to install the Radeon graphics driver software that will also install your chipset software.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.