Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP G5 255
Linux

APU is AMD A6-7310.  TurboBoost frequency is supported to go up to 2.4 GHz. But on my system, it only goes up to 2.0 Ghz.

There is a file: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_max_freq

In there it is written: "2000000", which is 2 GHz.

I had changed that (on all 4 cores/files) to "2400000" (2.4 GHz).

But, there is another file (BIOS limit): /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/bios_limit

In there it is also written: "2000000" (2.0 GHz). And that file can not be changed even with root.

In BIOS, there are no options at all to turn on TurboBoost, Cool n Quiet, nothing.

I have also tried setting the CPU governor to performace. But the problem is BIOS.

How can I fix this problem?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@PanicMechanic

HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled.  IF you replace that or add a different OS, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that other OS -- as HP then provides  assistance only on Redhat and then only to commercial customers.

Your best bet for Linux support, since HP does not provide Linux drivers, is to contact the support forum for the Linux distro you are trying to install   -- in this case, the Ubuntu Forums:  http://ubuntuforums.org/

Folks there have experience using HP machines with Linux and know a lot about driver sources and installation issues.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi. The laptop came without OS (bought it new).

I have ased for help on askubuntu.com, but still no solution.

As I have stated, the problem is that BIOS is limiting this, not the OS. So, only HP can help me with this.

HP Recommended

@PanicMechanic

I did some research on this and found out the following:

1) is set in the BIOS, but some OEMs discourage this by not allowing you into Advanced settings.  So, if you do not see this in your BIOS settings, you can't enable it.

2) It is a limited boost for single cores and is done automatically.  For full power, Overclocking is a better solution, but that risks thermal shutdown if you overheat the PC

3) Some OEMs have implemented thermal throttling to prevent the core(s) from overheating.  If this is the case, then even if you enabled TurboCore, once the processor reached this thermal threshold, it would power down and there would be no gain in performance.

4) It's a similar idea to other AMD processor features, but those other require either Windows drivers or custom Windows powerplan settings -- neither of which are available in Linux.

Sorry, but it looks like you are out of luck trying to implement this.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I have, using ALT+F2, pasted and entered these commands:

echo 1 > /sys/module/processor/parameters/ignore_ppc

echo -n 2410000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq2410000

Now, cores go up to 2.325 GHz (max recorded so far). But, under load (video encoding, all 4 cores at 100%) it goes up to 2 GHz (or drops down to 2 GHz, more like it), sometimes close to 2.1 GHz, maximum. And it is is not after it heats up, but as soon as I load the CPU. Also, with almost no load, cores no longer go down to 800 MHz or so, but stay at between 1.8 - 2.2 GHz, which is not good. 😕

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.