Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello.. 
i have hp envy x360 15 with a ryzen 4500u + vega 6 iGPU and 8gb of ram..my dedicated vram is set to only 512 mb and i looked into bios and couldn't find a way to increase it.. like some of lenovo ryzen 4000 series based laptops.
so my question here why HP? and if i upgrade the ram to 16 gb do i ll get 1024 mb dedicated vram? or its exclusive to vega 7 iGPU that come with the ryzen 7 4700u?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @redandwhite 

I have an HP Envy x360 15-ee047nr with the same Ryzen 4500U processor, onboard AMD Vega graphics, and 2 x 8 GB of DDR4-3200 memory, and the dedicated video memory is 512 MB.

You may get more shared system memory allocated for the video adapter by adding another 8 GB memory chip, but the dedicated video memory will always be fixed at 512 MB--even if you max out the memory to 2 x 16 GB.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@redandwhite 

Integrated video (iGPU) does not have room for keep VRAM, it relies on System. System will work this out and allocate/assign spare/available system RAM to VRAM automatically when required up to max limit. System will also take VRAM back when required (the number is dynamic, not fix). During the good old days, we could do this from BIOS but now OS is smarter.

The following document shows Max shared RAM for Intel iGPU versions (I can't find a similar list from AMD).

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020962/graphics-drivers.html

Note: Recently people post Youtube on internet saying they can change using Regedit. Many people try but the results are unpredictable.

Regards

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

from what i know with 8 gb ram on my system i only get up to 512mb vram.. im just wondering if upgrading my ram to 16gb will get me the extra 512mb on my vram ?
i know the ryzen 7 4700u with a vega 7 iGPU has up to 1024mb vram .

should i upgrade my ram or the vega 6 iGPU is locked to get up to 512 only?

HP Recommended

Hi, @redandwhite 

I have an HP Envy x360 15-ee047nr with the same Ryzen 4500U processor, onboard AMD Vega graphics, and 2 x 8 GB of DDR4-3200 memory, and the dedicated video memory is 512 MB.

You may get more shared system memory allocated for the video adapter by adding another 8 GB memory chip, but the dedicated video memory will always be fixed at 512 MB--even if you max out the memory to 2 x 16 GB.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.