Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I agree with the other customers above:

- the 3rd party power adapter for my USB C port is working fine
 - one message, or even 5, I can understand - but messaging EVERY TIME I PLUG IT IN is very ANNOYING.

- this laptop you designed so any USB-C power adapter could be used; it's an international standard!!!
 - the engineer who thought that was a good idea should be talked to - it is a constant annoyance in the name of HP, and makes me wish my laptop was made by Dell or someone else.

While I appreciate the "solution" found by customers (not HP staff) - it removes important notifications. 

So, HP staff person - tell us now - how can we turn off this message that annoys me, takes me away from my work, several times every day?
You have a chance to save face for the whole company of Hewlett-Packard. 

HP Recommended

As the last couple of messages state, this is unacceptable. I don't think HP cares (or is following this thread) but I was testing a Spectre and a Dell for adoption for our company. I tend to prefer HP to Dell, but with this message popping up with our 3rd party docking stations, I just couldn't subject my users to the annoyance. So I opted to buy 30 Dell laptops instead of the HP Spectre. Over the next couuple of years, that will be about 60+ units lost due to a stupid nag screen. 

As the IT Director, I can't opt to disable all USB messages for my users, and I can't give my CEO a computer that acts like this. I'm sure we're not the only business using 3rd party docking stations, since USB-C makes that so easy. I'm sure other companies have made the same decision I've made. 

I'd been buying Compaq and HP laptops for my users for 17 years. You have to wonder if they'll ever get my business back now that I've left. It seems really short sighted to me.

HP Recommended

And the irony is that there is no HP docking station for spetre x360 13 thunderbolt....

I would have loved to buy an HP one instead of third party, but there is none!

HP Recommended

Yes, I agree. I have a 15" Spectre, same nag, but I get a full charge no problem on my Pluggable dock. The message is a thoughtless one-size-fit-all push for vendor lock-in under a ridiculous scenario.

HP Recommended

I've just been testing the way too many models of docking stations that HP now makes (it's very confusing).  I find that this one 1MK33UT#ABA works pretty well with both 13 and 15 inch latest spectre x360.  This one X7W54UT#ABA works with the 13 but doesn't have sufficient power to charge the 15.  Both the ones I tested were the 8th gen chips 4k screens.

HP Recommended

I tested a Dell WD15 Dock with a 130 watt included power supply and it works just fine. Both monitors are displaying, ethernet, USB, and it is charging the laptop. It will complain about the power supply not being HP. I have the Spectre x360 15 4K model 15-ch0xx with the 8th gen i7. HP should have a dock that works with their laptops, because I would have purchased one.

HP Recommended

Does anyone know if the file in question here has any other function other than to nag you to buy an HP power supply? I have a 15" 4K SpectreX 360. I bought a Dell supply and it seems to work fine. It's also $10 cheaper than the official HP supply, which they also never seem to have in stock. If the only purpose of this message is to nag you to buy HP products I will delete the file.

HP Recommended

Hello TJHuot;

No, I don't know if there is another function and I doubt it would be easy to discern since it's a compiled executable.  Having said that, I have been using the Dell Dock WD15 for over a year, daily, on a Spectre x360 13" which is the same time I renamed the file in question.  The laptop has experienced ZERO issues from that point.

And, btw, the WD15 works like a charm with MS Windows and Linux.  Just seamless.

hth,

-C

HP Recommended

I can only fully agree with the previous comments
(Curiously it seems that it only happens on Spectre laptops as I can read)

Fact is that this Pop-UP displays even when I am using the genuine HP supply in coordination with a third party docking station ! This is complete non-sense (being polite)

I bought a Lenovo too and there is no such thing happening with Lenovo, they don't seem to worry about Hardware damage due to third party power supply (I can use the HP supply on the Lenovo UBC, the docking station and ... no complaint at all)

HP engineering, please do something urgent about it, not that it is blocking, but it is unnecessarily stressing users and I am pretty sure USB-C power supply is not at risk with third party, otherwise the whole point of USB-C universality marketing argument would have to been thrown to the toilets ...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.