Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp Omen Laptop 15-ce0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys,

I’ve just bought this samsung evo 970 plus ssd and my model no is: Laptop 15-ce0xx. I’ve cloned the windows system to the new ssd and I can boot the laptop with ssd drive from uptade and security/ recovery/ advanced options and lastly clicking to restart. But after that when I shut down and restart the computer hdd becomes the default boot driver. In BIOS I wanted to make ssd first driver in the boot priority but I can’t see sdd so I can’t do anything. Few of my friends told me to upgrade BIOS and I checked it and it’s already the last version. I don’t know what to do anymore. Please someone help me or I’m going crazy. I am started to thinking about is it possible to set m.2 Nvme ssd as a default boot drive in Hp Omen Laptops cause some people say it is not possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for letting me know.

I guess then in a situation like that, you buy the capacity NVMe drive you need, remove the 2.5" hard drive, connector, and caddy from the notebook. 

No point in having those items weighing it down if they don't work.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi:

You may have to remove the operating system from the mechanical hard drive.

The PC will always want to boot from the hard drive first.

HP Recommended

Actually it's my last option in case I can't find anymore solution. But BIOS doesn't recognize the SSD. Even if I did that how do we know the new default booting drive will become SSD. However, Windows recognize this new ssd. 

HP Recommended

What you can do then is to temporarily disconnect the hard drive and see if the notebook boots from the NVMe drive.

If you can run the notebook with the bottom case unscrewed, that would facilitate reassembly.

Why it doesn't show up in the BIOS, that is a mystery to me.

HP Recommended

Yes, finally thankss to you. I really appreciate. I did what you told me and I think ssd is the default boot drive at the moment. I restarted the computer for five times and at all of them ssd was the boot driver and never came a page about which drive I should choose. I just dont know what to do with hdd. I think this is the only way to boot with ssd. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

OK, now that you know the drive will work by itself, you have nothing to lose by hooking up the other drive again, doing whatever you need to do to get the SSD to boot with the other drive connected, format the mechanical hard drive to remove the OS.

Then shut down, restart the PC and see if it boots from the SSD like it is doing now when there is no OS on the original drive.

You can always reinstall the OS on the mechanical hard drive someday by creating a recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery client utility.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

HP Recommended

Hi again,

I would also like to increase my RAM. Right now I have 8 GB single RAM and I want to make it duo. I’ve been thinking to order the same one. I don’t think that will cause any harm. Do you think there is much difference and it’s necessary to make it duo?

HP Recommended

Hi:

I think increasing the memory from 8 GB to 16 GB would be very beneficial and will allow the memory to run in the better performing dual data rate mode.

HP Recommended

Thank you for caring and lastly I have one more issue;

I can also remove the existing ram and use dual compatible ram but it won't be the same brand but surely will have the same speed,voltage and latency. Do you think that might work? 

Because I couldn't find the exact model I've been using and I don't wanna use 2 different brands.

HP Recommended

I have bought  two Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB ram(2400 MHz,CL16) and just finished the assembly. It worked with no problems and in the system everything looks amazing. Now my ram is dual channel and total 16 gb. I will be selling my old ram but I'm gonna keep it for a month if I encounter with technical issues. I hope I won't.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.