Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-da0392tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I am having extreme problems with my GPU (MX-130) down-clocking to ~130mHz whenever it gets to 75 - 80C. The GPU runs at 1200 mHz under load otherwise. The down-clocking makes doing anything GPU intensive impossible. When playing games such as Just Cause 2 ( A game from 10 years ago) I get down clocking every 10 seconds, then smooth, then more down clocking. Is there any way to change the temperature limit. Please do not suggest cleaning the fans, putting it on a cooling pad, etc - the temperatures are not very high. My GPU drivers are also up to date.

Extra info:

Model - HP Notebook - 15-da0392tx

CPU - i7-8550U (The full name is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz even though it is clocked at 2.00GHz)

Memory - 16 GB at 2400Mhz

Storage = 500GB SSD

Any help would be appreciated. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@jamiedarcy Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you would like to stop GPU Throttling.

HP Pc’s uses a customized BIOS setting (Tattooed BIOS) of which some features including overclocking and increasing the VRAM are locked.

This is done in the best interest of safeguarding the PC for the optimal performance and not to cause any extensive component failure.

To conclude, the VRAM on your PC is already shared with a specific value, and it's locked and cannot be changed.

Try updating the computer, this will install the latest updates -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply. I am on the latest version of windows and no updates are available on the HP Support Assistant. I understand the intent of having a partially locked down BIOS. Is there any way to change the frequency when the GPU down-clocks? Having it downclock to 130mHz makes even the lightest of games unplayable, and frankly makes the gpu unusable. As  I mentioned before games from 10 years ago were unplayable. I couldn't care less if making the gpu usable voids the warranty or has any other consequences, such as shortening the lifespan of the GPU or other components.  

HP Recommended

@jamiedarcy

I understand your concerns.

HP has locked a few settings on your computer which are being managed by the system configuration as the device is configured to its optimal performance. 

  

There's no way of resetting or changing these locked settings via HP articles or assistance, 

You could unlock and make changes at your own discretion using 3rd party tools, however, HP doesn't recommend the same nor has information about the tools used. 

I hope you understand. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information. I will try to find a way to unlock the bios. If anyone knows how to please let me know. I'll post an update if I find a solution. 

One of the solutions I have found online is pressing cntrl f1, but that didn't work

HP Recommended

@jamiedarcy

I understand your concerns.

Unfortunately, there is no option to unlock the advanced BIOS option.

You can check with our phone support as well.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.