Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15t-j000 Quad Edition
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP ENVY 15t-j000 Quad Edition CTO Notebook PC (Model #: C8P47AV)

I would like to use my notebook to drive a 4K monitor.

My notebook has HDMI version 1.4 and maximum monitor resolution of 1920 x 1080 (HD).

In order to drive a 4K monitor I need a better graphics adapter (3840 × 2160, 60kHz)  and a better HDMI interface (v 2.0).

Generally, how easy or hard would it be for me to replace both?  I do have some experience opening up my laptops and replacing things.  Is this just a matter of replacing some pluggable hardware modules, or is soldering going to be involved? 

A secondary question:  Will the computer allow its monitor to be completely driven by this new adapter, and not by the onboard adapter?  (I assume this will be necessary to get the video signal to go out the HDMI).  What will I need to do to make this change?

Thanks for any guidance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is no upgrade you can make. The video chip and HDMI (which are part of the same hardware system) are embedded so deep in the motherboard there is no soldering in the world that could change them. Part of the intrinsic design of the motherboard. 

If you want to drive a 4k monitor you would have to get a new laptop. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

There is no upgrade you can make. The video chip and HDMI (which are part of the same hardware system) are embedded so deep in the motherboard there is no soldering in the world that could change them. Part of the intrinsic design of the motherboard. 

If you want to drive a 4k monitor you would have to get a new laptop. 

HP Recommended

Hi Doug,

As mentioned before, the onboard graphics card in your laptop isn't able to push a 4K monitor.

However, you can plug an external GPU card to your laptop. Not sure if you want to go this route, but here's a how to: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2984716/laptop-computers/how-to-transform-your-laptop-into-a-gaming-p...

HP Recommended

Interesting idea.  But it is not clear to me how an external graphics card would be able to connect to my particular laptop. 

HP Recommended

Well, if you read the article, explains step by step how to accomplish that. Good luck!

HP Recommended

Well, it doesn't explain for my particular laptop.  It seems to assume ExpressCard and mPCIe, which I don't think my model has.

HP Recommended

You actually could use one of those eGPUs. I do not suggest them because I care about your laptop. You would have to remove the bottom cover, put the eGPU plug in place of the wireless card, and then attach a big clunky dock and a desktop power supply and an external monitor. The wireless slot is the equivalent of a 1x pcie slot and on desktops we use 8x or 16x. Still you can get decent frame rates, but these rigs have a tendency to overheat your laptop and obviously is a big Frankensteined mess and not cheap. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.