Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
I have HP Pavilion15 laptop . Keyboard is behaving unusual for few combinations which requires Fn keys to be used. I used to hold Fn key and press any of function keys. But now suddenly some keys requires me to press and leave the Fn key and then only it allows me to press function keys.
For Example 

For increasing  the brightness 
Holding Fn and pressing F3 works fine 
But for decreasing the power
It works only by Pressing Fn and leave it and then pressing F2

For decreasing volume 
Holding Fn and pressing F8 works fine 
But for increasing the volume 
It works only by pressing Fn and leave it and then pressing F8

Can anybody please help me on this behavior and do i need to do upgrades ? driver software is up to date.  Thanks 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi@SriRaghavan,

Thanks for engaging in the HP support community! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I understand you have keyboard issues with your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you tried checking with an external keyboard does the issue persist?

As you mentioned keys on the keyboard stops functioning correctly.

Try few steps recommended below.

Turn off the computer and then restart it.
Press the Esc key repeatedly to see if a startup menu opens.
If a setup menu does not open, the integrated keyboard hardware is not working. The integrated keyboard in the notebook should be serviced or replaced. To continue using the notebook, connect a USB-wired keyboard to a USB port and restart the computer.
If a setup menu opens, use the arrow keys to navigate the menus. If these keys are working in the startup menu, but then fail when Windows loads, the problems might be related to the keyboard software.
Restart the computer.
In Device Manager, uninstall and reinstall the keyboard software:
In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
Click View and select Show Hidden Devices.
Click the arrow next to Keyboards, right-click the keyboard device name, then select Uninstall to remove the device from Windows.
Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled.
Restart the notebook. Right-click Start (), select Shut down or sign out, then select Restart.
Wait for the computer to restart and open Windows.

Refer to this article to further troubleshoot keyboard issues with your PC.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

thanks for you reply.

i tried all the mentioned steps several times but after restart , after some time keyboard behaving very badly eg. space wont work. function key (Fn) + function keys combination works very badly. Holding Fn key works only for few function keys and for other i need to leave the Fn key and press the other Function keys....

do i need to change the keyboard or i have to live with it ?

I am located in India -> Chennai. I have very poor Authorized service centres. Poor to the core , they wont treat us well, even service centres would threaten us for internal parts are costlier or they try to ignore the laptop service since they only service currently active warranty laptops are repair as priority.

I already faced issue with the hard disk failure - in just 1.5 years, laptop battery issue after a year. And now the laptop keyboard behaving miserably. So total loss and i will never suggest hp laptop to any one in the world.

Please help me if you have any idea about these issues....

comming back to the keyboard issue...- pls let me know what could be the issue - what to be done ???

HP Recommended

@SriRaghavan,

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

I see you are experiencing keyboard issues with the HP Pavilion15 laptop.

As you have already tried all of the steps recommended so try running the Keyboard test from F2 Diagnostics or from the HP PC hardware diagnostics within windows. If the test failed then It could be a hardware issue with the Keyboard.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options.

Follow the instructions below to reach them:  

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp 

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.  

4) Select the country from the drop-down.  

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences.  

6) Fill the web form and proceed further.  

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

For any hardware issue or repair please click on the link Phone Assist Worldwide

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.