Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-4176nz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear community,

I own an HP Spectre x360 - 13-4176nz (Win10, BIOS F.52, all drivers up to date) and I am experiencing battery problems since about September 2018 (I do not remember exactly). The battery is fully charged and it drains about 10% per day when the notebook is in Hybernation or completely turned off. My girlfriend also owns an HP Pavillon x360 - 15-bp154nz and she is experiencing the same problem, since about June/July 2018. Her battery was replaced under warranty but the problem is still there…

I have tried to isolate many known causes but without success… Namely, the following measures did not help:

• Battery and charger test run -> everything fine
  • Microsoft ACPI-Compliant driver uninstalled
  • Notebook HW reset
  • USB charge turned off in BIOS
  • Notebook charged from another plug
  • Intel Management Engine Interface: older version installed, power saving option disabled
  • Windows Fast startup turned off
  • Connected Standby feature in the registry disabled

The next steps would be to downgrade the BIOS and Intel Management Engine. I downloaded the BIOS F.50 from the HP support page and tried to downgrade… but it does not work. I tried:

• Copying the BIOS on an USB stick and boot with Win+B
  • Rollback BIOS with HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI

In both cases I got this error message: “Unable to open BIOS Signature file”. It seems that HP prevents BIOS downgrad!! Can somebody please:

1. Explain me how to downgrade the BIOS to a previous version and/or
  2. Help me with the battery drain issue?

Many thanks in advance!

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi! @xyz10,

This situation will need some additional support from our internal teams in HP. For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via PM. 

Regards

Mr.Robot

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi! As a user having a similar issue with a spectre, did you get any fix from HP?

Thanks,

Francesco

HP Recommended

My Pavillon x360 also draining 10% per day in hibernation or shutdown mode since brand new but my set is not warranted in my country.

Any ideas a solution is in place for this issue?

I have googled around n it seems this is a common problem for Hp X360 range, really hope HP would came up with a solution asap.

HP Recommended

@Cheesey7474,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

As the battery is a consumable part the life of the battery decreases each time you charge your laptop.

Factors that contribute to loss of battery capacity.

Li-Ion battery cells suffer gradual, irreversible capacity loss with each discharge-charge cycle. Such aging occurs more rapidly as temperature and discharges loads increase.
The self-discharge rate of a Li-Ion battery is higher if the battery is left in an unpowered notebook.
During prolonged storage or non-use, the battery charge will decrease below its recommended low-voltage level.
Leaving the battery in a depleted condition for an extended period will accelerate the decrease in FCC.
Leaving the battery at a high level of charge in a high-temperature environment for extended periods (for example, running a notebook computer in a docking station under a heavy load) will accelerate the loss of capacity.
Running high-end applications using the battery accelerates the loss of capacity. For example, playing 3D games will lower FCC faster than using word processing applications.

However, you can try the steps recommended below.

Open Power Options on Windows 10.
Click Change plan settings for any of the power plans. I would suggest you choose the power saver plan.
Now click Change advanced power settings.
Under the Advanced Settings tab, scroll down to find Processor power management.
Now, expand (click on +) Processor power management.
Expand Maximum processor state.
Click the On-battery option and reduce the processor state to 20%. You can choose any other value.
Click Ok. The settings are saved, you can close the Power Options window.

Enable Adaptive Brightness
Go to Power Options select change advanced power settings
Go to the Change advanced power settings. Expand Display> expand Enable Adaptive Brightness. Now, turn on Adaptive Brightness for On-battery and Plugged in options (whichever you like. Click Ok to save the settings.

If the issue still persists try uninstalling the battery drivers device manager.

Search for and open Device Manager.
Click next to Batteries to expand the battery options.
With the options expanded, right-click each ACPI option and in the menu, click Uninstall.
Restart the computer.
The battery should now charge properly.

Please ensure you update the bios, chipset and graphics drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers  Please select the country and type the product# of the unit. Then follow the on-screen instructions.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know how to run a battery test and perform a battery calibration on your laptop.

Also, refer this document to understand more about lithium-ion batteries.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried all ur suggestion but nothing works, still draining ard 10% daily.

Anyone out there also having this issue with their Pavilion X360?

HP Recommended

@Cheesey7474,

In this scenario, as the battery still drains upto 10%, which is normal. 

If you feel it's still an issue, Could you let me know if you have tried running a test on the battery from F2 (Please remember to capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Battery Test

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) tests the functioning of the battery and can calibrate the battery if needed. The Battery Check takes about two minutes and the calibration can take two hours or longer.

Follow these steps to perform the Battery Test:

1. In the Component Tests menu, click Power, and then click Battery. 2. Click Run once.

Use the following steps to open the Component Tests menu.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Take care and have a great weekend 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried ur suggestion but still no goal.

i got 2 other laptop in my house n both drain at most 1 to 2% daily so 10% daily battery loss is definitely not normal n it seems alot of HP laptop have this issue, esp. the X360.

This will be my last hp laptop, no confidence in the brand.

HP Recommended

@Cheesey7474,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have had the same problem in my brand new Envy laptop.

Nothing fixed it, even numberous techs over the phone or remote assistance until my warranty ran out.

My 10 ten year old Acer still keeps more charge when switched off.

Some users have bought new batteries but no luck.

HP will leave you in the poop.

My solution was to buy a Lenova and enjoy normal laptop use with the battery again.

Don't buy another HP and do reviews to help new buyers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.