cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
Malav_2000
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

Hp r033tx wifi

HP Recommended
Hp R033TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Hp R033tx which had  RT3290 wifi card and I replaced it with intel centrino n 2230 and it worked for me but only increased the speed slightly. I wanted to know if I can use a 5ghz card on my laptop. If someone knows or can suggest a good card which will give me good speed then please let me know. It worked with centrino card so I suppose it should work with other cards too!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Huffer
Level 18
Level 18
47,186 21,009 7,638 13,818
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No modifications to the motherboard. Its the number of antenna leads connected to the card. Ideally, you would disassemble the laptop and route the second antenna next to the other one and then up the opposite side of the display housing. Sounds like you maybe even have 3 antenna leads. So yes you can install an 802.11ac 5ghz card. The best is this one:

Amazon.com: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 2x2 Network plus Bluetooth adapter (7260.HMWWB.R) : Ele...

View solution in original post

1 person found this reply helpful
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
6 REPLIES 6
Huffer
Level 18
Level 18
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

One antenna or 2?

Malav_2000
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I removed the old RT3290 it had only one antenna...by antenna you mean the wire connected to it right?

Huffer
Level 18
Level 18
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes. Your laptop has no whitelist but having a single antenna greatly limits your options. Almost all 5ghz cards require 2 antennae. You can add one, but it is a major job. 

Malav_2000
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Actually when I placed in centrino card I did place in 2 antennas which improved the range! I connected another antenna and routed the antenna on the other side as well! I do have 2 antennas and have made simple modifications to integrate one more...lemme clear one thing...placing 2 antennas means connecting a new one on the other side right? I don't have to make any modifications to the motherboard...right?

Huffer
Level 18
Level 18
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No modifications to the motherboard. Its the number of antenna leads connected to the card. Ideally, you would disassemble the laptop and route the second antenna next to the other one and then up the opposite side of the display housing. Sounds like you maybe even have 3 antenna leads. So yes you can install an 802.11ac 5ghz card. The best is this one:

Amazon.com: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 2x2 Network plus Bluetooth adapter (7260.HMWWB.R) : Ele...

Malav_2000
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot! That really did help me! And yes I opened the screen area and routed another antenna! And I'll soon post if I'm able to get 5ghz...thanks a lot!!!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation