Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 17-ca1012na
Microsoft Windows 11

I  have upgraded my HP Notebook - 17 - ca1012na 's RAM from 8GB to 16GB by adding an extra 8GB RAM with 3200MHz SODIMM Critical RAM into the default available slot, after running the Critical RAM compatibility program and checking the HP specifications. I was earthed adequately and ensured that there is a good solid connection. It was not recognised by the HP Support Assistant review after reboot. After chatting with Crucial, they suggested that I returned the RAM for a dircet replacement as the new RAM board may be faulty. Through Amazon, I was sent a new replacement which I then added the new board again, without successful recognition or experience in speed reaction. Is there something in the BIOS, I should be modifying or is there something I am missing in the installation. I have followed the HP on line guides to the letter and now feel exhausted. Please helep?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

What I have stated in my previous post is that what you report as having happened is typical when there are great differences between, say the primary and secondary timings and voltage required by the soDimm modules. 

I did not know how much you know about system boards, BIOS and memory modules and the reasons that some of them will not work with each other. The BIOS checks the installed memory modules to see if they fit within the ROM code specifications and is what makes the difference in whether added modules will be recognized or not.

That is why installing identical modules when a pair is installed for a desired memory capacity is so important.

You can choose to believe what I have stated or not.

Good luck in your upgrade endeavors.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

To achieve optimal installed memory upgrade success it is recommended to replace the original module.

Upgrade with a pair of guaranteed compatible identical  memory modules instead of mixing brands.

I am surprised that Crucial did not make that suggestion.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

thanks for the comments.

To be honest, the afore mentioned supplier have been more than UN helpful and now I am in between a rock and a hard place. The compatibility prog clearly defined this suggested use of the supplied part and in addition, as Critical were out of stock, they even redirected me to Amazon.

HP Recommended

What I have stated in my previous post is that what you report as having happened is typical when there are great differences between, say the primary and secondary timings and voltage required by the soDimm modules. 

I did not know how much you know about system boards, BIOS and memory modules and the reasons that some of them will not work with each other. The BIOS checks the installed memory modules to see if they fit within the ROM code specifications and is what makes the difference in whether added modules will be recognized or not.

That is why installing identical modules when a pair is installed for a desired memory capacity is so important.

You can choose to believe what I have stated or not.

Good luck in your upgrade endeavors.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.