Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Brown-43
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have the HP 15-BW011DX laptop with the AMD 9220 and I'm looking to upgrade the storage.

HP Notebook - 15-bw011dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I see that my motherboard has the solder points on it for an M.2 slot, but no key slot is there. I've watched a couple videos with boards labeled the same as mine, but they have the slots and my motherboard doesn't. Can anyone tell me why that would be? Am I missing something? (Besides the M.2 slot)

1 REPLY 1
Level 15
Level 15
9,675 9,624 1,892 3,590
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have the HP 15-BW011DX laptop with the AMD 9220 and I'm looking to upgrade the storage.

Hi,

Yes, this happens quite often. Your model came without M2 SSD, so the physical slot is missing on the motherboard. The ones you see with M2 slot are the ones which came with M2 SSD at purchase.

In newer models, this happens less often. So, in older models, you can not really know until you actually check the motherboard. One of the reasons we always suggest to take a look and see if the physical slot is present before buying M2 SSD.

As to why, probably a comercial thing I would think.

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation