Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 cd051nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I just bought the Pavilion 15 cd051nr and the GPU  memory stated up to 4.32Gb  using  AMd a12 integrated APU.  When i checked the Radeon  R7 settings it says 512Mb.

Is there a settings I have to change to enable all 4gb of gpu memory or do i have to install a seperate gpu card??? and if it is the latter how do i go about installing it???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Stefcurrie, Thanks for your quick response and time.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

Yes adding more RAM would make your PC run faster.

As I checked the records your laptop went with 8GB memory.

You can upgrade the memory by adding 8GB more memory onto your PC.

However, if you are running high graphic oriented games or applications, You would have to upgrade the memory on your laptop or your laptop should perform well for regular usage.

Also, try updating the BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Link to update the BIOS.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Stefcurrie, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you need to know how to get the GPU memory increased on your laptop.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your laptop?

As you mentioned GPU  memory stated up to 4.23Gb but when you check the Radeon settings it's listed as 512MB.

I have checked the records and according to the specifications of your laptop, it should support upto 4.32GB graphics.

A computer with dual AMD graphics adapters can dynamically switch between using two adapters simultaneously or using just one. This primarily depends on the type of software being run as well as the specific graphics adapter models in the computer. In some instances, the integrated graphics adapter is powerful than the discrete graphics adapter for performing certain tasks.

The Radeon settings will not tell you how much graphics is been utilized by each application. It just shows you the default graphics memory on your laptop.

To change the default switchable graphics settings in the Catalyst Control Center software, follow the steps below.
Click Start, type CCC in the Search field, and then select and open CCC from the search results list.
Click the Start logo in the lower-left corner.
On the Catalyst Control Center screen, click Power.
Then click Switchable Graphic Application Settings.
Select a Recent Application and click Not Assigned (unless this has been altered before). Then choose either High performance, Power saving, or Based on the power source.
Click Apply to save the new settings.

Also, you can try updating the graphics driver to the latest version using HP support assistant on your PC.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using switchable graphics on notebooks.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
CCC isn't installed for some reason and I haven't changed any software or hardware but if it is capable of supporting a discrete gpu I would like to have one installed. Is this laptop a dual adapter laptop? And if it is do I have to install the vram chip or is it already there?
HP Recommended

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Your laptop has a discrete graphics installed already and you cannot add another graphics card to the laptop.

There are two types of graphic processors: discrete and integrated. A discrete GPU (short for graphic processor unit) means that there is a separate processor for anything related to graphic work whereas an integrated GPU means that it shares resources with the CPU to do graphic work.

As you mentioned you don't see Radeon CCC software installed on your PC.

I would suggest you update the graphics driver on your PC and check if it helps.

Please update the graphics driver on your PC using this link.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I did see an improvement after the update thank you!
I was wondering though, if adding more RAM would give anymore of improvement or would that just be unnecessary? Thanks regardless.
HP Recommended

Thanks for trying out the steps.

Yes adding more RAM would make your PC run faster.

As I checked the records your laptop went with 8GB memory.

You can upgrade the memory by adding 8GB more memory onto your PC.

However, if you are running high graphic oriented games or applications, You would have to upgrade the memory on your laptop or your laptop should perform well for regular usage.

Also, try updating the BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Link to update the BIOS.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.