Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bs034nv
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

I am interested in buying the following HP laptop.

The "HP Notebook - 15-bs034nv" this has 8GB memory will I be able to increase it in the future?

If yes what is its memory limit?

Furthermore, as I had a bad experience with a Dell laptop I would like to ask you if this is overheating and if it is noisy.

Thanks.

Greetings

Marina

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The specs I have found on it say 6 gigs not 8. It has 2 memory slots.

It can take up to 16 gigs of DDR4 2400 memory officially and it is well known you can put 32 gigs in it (2 x 16).

6 gigs is a 4 and a 2 gig so to have any more you will have to at least toss the 2 gig module. If you are buying it with a single 8 gig module consider yourself lucky as it will be much less expensive to have 16 gigs. 

Memory upgrade requires some technical skill but can be done and keep the warranty. Here is the Service Manual and pages 47-55 show you what you would have to do. 

Manual

I can't speak to your old Dell but if you have not used a new laptop in some time thermal and sound management have gotten way better in the last couple years. It does have a dedicated video card so you can expect to hear the fan sometimes and if you throw demanding games at it you will see it get warm. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the answer you needed. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The specs I have found on it say 6 gigs not 8. It has 2 memory slots.

It can take up to 16 gigs of DDR4 2400 memory officially and it is well known you can put 32 gigs in it (2 x 16).

6 gigs is a 4 and a 2 gig so to have any more you will have to at least toss the 2 gig module. If you are buying it with a single 8 gig module consider yourself lucky as it will be much less expensive to have 16 gigs. 

Memory upgrade requires some technical skill but can be done and keep the warranty. Here is the Service Manual and pages 47-55 show you what you would have to do. 

Manual

I can't speak to your old Dell but if you have not used a new laptop in some time thermal and sound management have gotten way better in the last couple years. It does have a dedicated video card so you can expect to hear the fan sometimes and if you throw demanding games at it you will see it get warm. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the answer you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your quick response.

The laptop will have 1yr guarantee, when will I be able to extend the memory?

Can I do it on my own or shall I send it to the HP?

Marina

HP Recommended

It would be very expensive to ask HP to add memory. You would be better off to see if you can maybe find a configurable model so you can order it with more memory from the factory. But once you take delivery any kind of upgrade is on you and HP charges very high prices for work that is not warranty related and a memory upgrade would not be. 

I don't know how much technical experience and courage you have but I can just tell you there are manuals and videos available and it is not terribly hard to do. We have helped hundreds if not thousands upgrade their memory or storage and saved more money for them than I like to think about by avoiding labor charges. I could certainly retire early if I could get even a small percentage of it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your support.

Have a good night.

Marina

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.