Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP db0521sa

Hi I bought, an m2 ssd as according to crucials website linked here - https://uk.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-15-db0521sa it says '100% Compatibility Guaranteed for hp - compaq HP 15-db0521sa'. But I have opened up the laptop and it doesn't look like I have an m2 nvme sata connection. I have attached some pictures below, and just wondered if someone could confirm I am correct. Also if this is the case would a 2.5inch ssd be compatible with this laptop?hp laptop.jpghp laptop2.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You should be fine with a 2.5" SSD.

It would be a lot easier and cheaper to install than trying to get the parts for a M.2 SATA SSD, which would be no faster than a 2.5" SSD.

I would get the 2.5" Crucial MX500 model listed in the report.

That has a faster read/write speed than the BX models do.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

It is my understanding that the models such as yours that don't have the Ryzen processors, can only use M.2 SATA SSD's.

The WD green SSD drive you show in your screenshot is definitely a SATA M.2 SSD.

The crucial memory report you linked in your post also only indicates SATA M.2 SSD's are supported.

M.2 NVMe drives only have one notch.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1594754932978.png

HP Recommended

Hi, my point is that if the laptop model I have should support M.2 SATA SSD's according to the crucial website and I have purchased a SATA M.2 SSD, (the WD Green SSD is my image), then why isn't there an M.2 SATA SSD connection, or can you see one on my motherboard that I am missing? 

(The NVMe part was a mistake)

HP Recommended

I gotcha. 

Completely did not see that the M.2 slot is not there.

Below is the link to the service manual.

You are missing a few parts listed in chapter 3, page 27 to add a M.2 SSD to your notebook.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06245081

(7) Hard drive/solid-state drive cable   L20456-001
(8) Solid-state drive bracket                   L20458-001
(9) Solid-state drive connector board  L20457-001

Where you can find/buy those parts, unfortunately that I do not know.

That is why I usually suggest that folks open up the notebook first and confirm that there is a M.2 slot already there before buying M.2 SSD's, because unless the notebook came with a M.2 SSD from the factory, on several models the M.2 slot is not present.

What I usually do is to refer to the service manual and if there are no parts listed to add a M.2 slot, or there are no motherboards listed with or without M.2 slots, then I assume the M.2 slot is there regardless.

HP Recommended

Ok thanks for your help. I just read the crucial website for this model and assumed it would be fine. 

So now I'm wondering if I can remove the 2.5inch HDD and just replace it with a 2.5 inch SSD? I'm fine with getting into bios and booting from a usb with a new windows installation, just wanted to make sure the SSD will be compatible, as i've read somewhere about there being 7mm and 9.5mm sata connections for different hard drives. HDD.jpg

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You should be fine with a 2.5" SSD.

It would be a lot easier and cheaper to install than trying to get the parts for a M.2 SATA SSD, which would be no faster than a 2.5" SSD.

I would get the 2.5" Crucial MX500 model listed in the report.

That has a faster read/write speed than the BX models do.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.