Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Omen 15-5190nz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Omen 15-5190nz laptop with a 512 GB, MLC, PCIe, M.2.2280 SSD in it. I would now like to upgarde my laptop to a new Samsung EVO 970 Plus 1TB SSD.

I did some research on compatibility of the new SSD and as far I can tell it uses too the PCIe 3.0 x4 Bus on an M.2 Key M slot. The only difference being in the new controller for the new SSD which is a NVMe. However the newest Version of Windows 10 comes with the correspoinding drive integrated. So all should be fine in theory.

However I can not get the new SSD to be recognised by the boot manager. Even stranger is, when trying to install Windows form a bootable stick onto the empty SSD, Windows reconises the SSD and completes the installation, confirming that all went well. Rebooting the laptop at this point bring me back to the same installation options of Windows as before. The boot-manager doesn't recongise the newly installed OS. Removing the USB during reboot doesn't help either.

I would be most greatful for any help on this. Is the SSD not compatible with my laptop or am I having some sort of driver problem?

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

The original drive is part number 788611-001  and I am having some problems finding much information about it. The part comes up as a 128 gig SATA M.2 everywhere I look. Can you post an image or just the information off the label? That model Omen is probably the earliest HP laptop to use an NVME M.2 SSD and I am pretty sure the system is PCIe 3 x2 not x4. I had that model a while back for a year as my loaner from HP. 

You have the system set to secure boot, correct? You might try seeing if you have any luck installing Windows with the system set as legacy boot. The new M.2 is showing up in the BIOS which it would not do if it were a compatibility/driver issue. The system "sees" it and there has to be a way to get it booting the machine. 

HP Recommended

Hard truth: It isn't compatible.

On the other hand it is a BIOS/software issue that HP could fix but from what I read on the net they wont... They rather sell us a new machine than let us upgrade our current one...

Big OEM manufactures sell you what they list in the specs and have no intention to make your machine future proof. Aside from Asus I haven't heard any effort from others to modernize there software, too busy making new hardware...

EDIT: Having the same problem, sitting with the factory sandisk M.2 128gb and want NVMe on my bp-091no but no...

I am  installing an 2.5" 250Gb EVO 840 I have liyng around instead since there is room for that.

PS! I havent checked your machine, I might be wrong.

@onb wrote:

I have a HP Omen 15-5190nz laptop with a 512 GB, MLC, PCIe, M.2.2280 SSD in it. I would now like to upgarde my laptop to a new Samsung EVO 970 Plus 1TB SSD.

I did some research on compatibility of the new SSD and as far I can tell it uses too the PCIe 3.0 x4 Bus on an M.2 Key M slot. The only difference being in the new controller for the new SSD which is a NVMe. However the newest Version of Windows 10 comes with the correspoinding drive integrated. So all should be fine in theory.

However I can not get the new SSD to be recognised by the boot manager. Even stranger is, when trying to install Windows form a bootable stick onto the empty SSD, Windows reconises the SSD and completes the installation, confirming that all went well. Rebooting the laptop at this point bring me back to the same installation options of Windows as before. The boot-manager doesn't recongise the newly installed OS. Removing the USB during reboot doesn't help either.

I would be most greatful for any help on this. Is the SSD not compatible with my laptop or am I having some sort of driver problem?

No need for thumbs up or other farcical deeds.
HP Recommended

Crucial recomends NVMe for this machine though:

https://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/hp-omen-15-5190nz

HP Recommended

Hard truth indeed. No there is no reason for it not to be compatible. 

HP Recommended

The exact SSD I got in this laptop is MZ-HPU512T/0H1.

I have alredy tried booting without secure boot and in leagcy mode: makes no difference.

HP Recommended

@onb wrote:

I have alredy tried booting without secure boot and in leagcy mode: makes no difference.

Check if in BIOS there is somewhere You can change the M.2 configuration from the "auto" setting to SATA or PCIe for the harddrive.

HP Recommended

@Petro_ wrote:

@onb wrote:

Check if in BIOS there is somewhere You can change the M.2 configuration from the "auto" setting to SATA or PCIe for the harddrive.

The BIOS is absolutely bare bones, the only choice I have is UFEI mode or legacy support. Have tried both, makes no difference.

HP Recommended

@petroI am sure you mean well but there is no such BIOS setting. If the laptop will run with either SATA or NVME there is no need  to switch anything in the BIOS. 

The 512 gig you have is a Samsung XP941 which is a Gen 2 x4 M.2 SSD. The 970 Evo Plus is a 

• INTERFACE

PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3

The answer must lie with this seemingly small difference. The motherboard must support PCIe gen 3.0 and since this hardware is the oldest I have seen running an NVME M.2 I can only surmise the system is not set to boot from such a disk. 

HP Recommended

I know about the dessert like bios, I was just hoping it was a little bit better on an Omen machine...

Can  I trouble you with triyng to install linux mint 19.1?

It's a 5 minute install ones the stick is ready...

If Mint boots there's nothing wrong with the machine but a driver issue with Windows installation software... 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.